•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dew Heater for Sky-Watcher Esprit 100mm ED Scope

accessories astrophotography refractor
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

Its getting cold in Northern Arizona and I need a dew heater for my scope. 

Any recommendations?

Edited by Jim Waters, 22 October 2020 - 12:19 AM.

#2 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:21 AM

AstroZap, Dew-Not and Kendrick all build good dew heaters and controllers.  R-Sky builds good ones, too, and is generally cheaper but made in Russia.  Shipping could take a month before the pandemic.

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:26 AM

Would Dew-Not and Kendrick work with an AstroZap controller?

#4 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:37 AM

They all work together.  I have both Astrozap and Dew-Not controllers and an assortment of Astrozap, Dew-Not and R-Sky dew heaters.  One thing I'm not crazy about with the Dew-Not controller is that when the supply voltage drops below a certain value the controller shuts down,  I think Kendrick does this, too.  Depending on the manufacturer it is to prevent running your car battery down or prevent running a battery down to the point of damage.  For all night I use a big marine deep cycle that may drop low enough to trigger the controller but not damage my marine battery or strand me.  My Astrozap 2 channel controller does not have this and just works.  Here in Florida I run heaters on the objective/corrector, eyepiece and finder(s) and have to crank up the heat after midnight.  If I dual mount it can be a big load.  You can build your own dew heaters and controller and save a lot of money.  Check the following sites if you're interested: 

https://www.dewbuste...-resistors.html

https://www.dewbuste...r-nichrome.html

http://dslrmodificat...Controller.html

Oh, and DewBuster builds good controllers.

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Napp.

• Napp likes this

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Its getting cold in Northern Arizona and I need a dew heater for my scope. 

Any recommendations?

I have used Dew-Not and other "efficient" or "thin film" straps but I prefer Kendrick which you can buy from Kendrick in Canada.  

Maybe I'm hard on my gear, but I've been using my Kendrick straps for 10+ years but the thin film ones only lasted one to two.  

If you want to minimize the size of the battery you carry go for "thin film" heaters.  If you want brute force heat and are already (for a variety of reasons) packing a big honkin' battery, get the Kendrick.  

If you carry your scope long distances and don't want to be shut down by dew technology failure, carry an extra strap.

Greg N

• Jim Waters likes this

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:54 AM

I ordered from ScopeStuff and i am still waiting it to arrive to give it a try, i have AstroZap Dew Shield heater for my 7" Mak but didn't test or use it yet, now i don't know if i want to buy more dew heaters from where i will buy? I will control it with my Pegasus Power Box, i also bought that cable for splitter to use more heaters if i have to.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics