Finally got some time to try to figure out a solution to the cable madness for a mobile astrophotography off-the-shelf Sky-Watcher EQ-6 Mount...
My goal was to make it so I only had 2 cables to connect from my laptop / observation station.
- 120v power
- CAT 5 - USB over CAT 5 cable
This is a design I have been working on during my week of vacation. My first test print is is printing now - though the print time is pretty crazy @ 55 hours.
Items inside the box.
Everything else should be self contained within the mount and with short connections to the telescope. The final design requires 2 power connections - one for the 12v power supply and another for a small power strip inside the box.
The contents inside the box include:
- 30A 12v DC Power Supply (can operate at 12-13.8v)
- RIGRunner 4004U Anderson Powerpole distribution station - powers the Sky-Watcher Mount and Dew Heater (and maybe the Moonlite Focuser?)
- USB 50m Cat 5 extender receiver
- Moonlite Focuser controller (is the only thing that is velcro'd on for easy hand control)
- Thousand Oaks Optical Dew Heater Controller
- Anker 7 Port USB Hub
Items that will be controlled by USB:
- Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ 6 GT
- ASI1600mm-c imaging camera
- ASI-120mm-s guiding camera
- ZWO EFW Filter Wheel
- Moonlite Focuser
All USB items are connected via a USB hub in the box. USB to mount is via a 50m USB over CAT-5 cable run - which allows a lot of flexibility for laptop station placement. This is a mobile station.