•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how to drift align a star tracker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Daniel

Joseph Daniel

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:08 AM

how to drift align a sky guider pro since Polaris is hidden from my location any help  i want to buy it badly but this is the only thing hindering me from buying if any of yo have tried drift align with a star tracker i would love to hear how to do it so any suggestions would be much appreciated i have no guide scope or guide camera only a dslr and kit lens

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:54 AM

Here's one way: http://www.cwjames.i...ignment_ccd.htm

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

Here.... Regards

#4 Greg Campbell

Greg Campbell

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Aridzona

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

I use the compass and level on my smart phone to get within a degree or two. 

Slap on a nice long lens and follow the procedure linked below.  I use an old Canon 200mm with 2x extender. 

If using a camera instead of eyepiece, just make sure the frame is rotated to an orthogonal N/S/E/W orientation.

As you alternate between meridian and horizon, be sure to keep track of which direction is north, east, etc.

I take two shots, several minutes apart.  Then chimp-zoom and 'blink' back and forth between the two. (Some cameras may not allow this.)

http://astropixels.c...ralignment.html

Edited by Greg Campbell, 22 October 2020 - 08:11 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics