•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stretching a 6" Newtonian to it's limits, Elephant's Trunk nebula

reflector
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GIFTED1570

GIFTED1570

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:44 AM

I have been trying to prove the Newtonians can generate wonderful images too despite all the disadvantages of course, nothing like a good refractor but here is a very difficult target that is faint in sii and oiii and yet an hour of data was enough to pull a decent image with a cheap GSO Newtonian 6", asi6200mm, eq6r pro, ES coma corrector. class 3 skies

*the poor 2" focuser only has 2 compression screws so the tilt is bad but still pleasant image, ic1396

better resolution in the link

https://www.astrobin...s5rm3o/?nc=user

Attached Thumbnails

• crop7.jpg

Edited by GIFTED1570, 22 October 2020 - 09:54 AM.

• mikefulb, Wigleydh, prefetch and 7 others like this

#2 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

Wow this is a great image. I think you just have coma from using the full frame with a 2” corrector. That aside the image looks alot better than I would expect. The data and resolution is excellent!

#3 GIFTED1570

GIFTED1570

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:45 AM

Wow this is a great image. I think you just have coma from using the full frame with a 2” corrector. That aside the image looks alot better than I would expect. The data and resolution is excellent!

thank you, absolutely, 2" coma corrector incapable of full frame, two inch focuser with tilts and still produces nice ones

• calypsob likes this

#4 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:23 AM

Excellent!  Fine colors and details.  The six inch Newtonian is a capable instrument.

• GIFTED1570 likes this

#5 RogeZ

RogeZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

I think your premise is incorrect.

There is plenty of proof that newts can take fantastic images; what you are working on here is the fact that you can use an inexpensive ota with an extremely demanding sensor and get a good result.

Btw, try the sharpstar corrector. Its supposed to be very good :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics