•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI and hibernate?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:32 PM

I might have missed something, but don't think that Hibernate is available in CPWI. I have read that hibernate cannot be initiated over ASCOM, only by a proprietary command from an HC.

If HC is used to hibernate the mount at conclusion of a CPWI session and to wake it up for the next session, will CPWI recognise that the mount is aligned?

I have tried Save and Load Alignment in CPWI but I don't think that it works quite the same way as Hibernate.

#2 fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Vostok 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:20 PM

You can hybernate and park in CPWI, but I don't like how it works with other programs, mainly APT.

If you tell the mount to park to a specific spot in another program, it will not carry over correctly to the park location since CPWI does not use the regular ASCOM park function. It'll park to the last spot you parked it in CPWI.

That is the main reason I use the ASCOM device hub, instead of CPWI. 

I think what you need to do, is just select use last alignment when you turn the mount back on. -note you cannot use the handcontrol with CPWI, so the park postition will not save to the hand control, and you wont be able to call up the last alignment from CPWI if you use the handcontrol when you turn the mount back on.

If just using CPWI, save the alignment, then park it with the program and shut it down. When you start back up, just turn on the mount, don't do anything else with the handcontroller, and then load the last alignment with CPWI.

Saving a Pointing Model/Saving Your Alignment
Once your alignment is completed, you may save it by going to View Pointing Model > File > Save as.
Loading a Pointing Model/Loading Your Alignment
Provided you have not physically moved your mount, you can load an alignment model to restore your telescope’s alignment after
shutting the mount off. This feature is particularly useful for remote or observatory setups. Select Connect and the Align Mount
window will pop up. Next, select Load Pointing Model. This will allow you to restore a previously saved alignment.
Follow the onscreen instructions to sync onto a star. The sky and your mount have rotated since you last used this alignment, so the
two will need to be synced again for the alignment model to be accurate. Once you have synced onto a star, your clutches should
remained locked. This is useful if you plan on using the telescope again in a few days and want to keep an otherwise good alignment
model. Unlike Park Mount, you can unlock the clutches while the telescope is not in use, since the alignment can be loaded later.

"Park Mount
Park Mount is very useful in situations where you need to power off the mount for a few hours to conserve battery life when using
an external power source. Select Park Mount in the Control box under Mount to park the telescope in any desired position while
maintaining the current alignment model. When you select Park Mount, a pop-up window will ask you to select “Park here” or “Park at
previous position.” Once the mount is parked, CPWI will ask you to disconnect from the mount. After disconnecting, you may power
off your mount and close CPWI. Do not move the telescope while it is parked or the current alignment model will be lost. When you
reopen CPWI, select Connect in the Setup box. CPWI will ask if you’d like to un-park the mount. Once un-parked, the mount will begin
tracking again. Select a bright star in the SkyViewer and slew to it to check the pointing accuracy before using the telescope further.
This feature does not require saving or loading a Pointing Model. Park Mount uses your alignment model prior to parking the mount."

• dswtan likes this

#3 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:28 PM

I typically use CPWI to control my CGX mount (connected thru USB port on CGX)

(also note:  my Mount is not on a pier)

At the end of a session I HOME  the mount then power down.

Resuming later, I power up  the mount, and use "LAST ALIGNMENT:"

Then I just align on a single suggested object and my alignment seems to be dead on.

Yes it may take an extra step (align on object) but I know the mount has started from a fixed position (home switches) .

Works very well for me.

take care

Steve

#4 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for both replies, they have answered most of my questions but I have another question.

After loading  saved pointing model there is a requirement to synch on a star. Can GoTo be used to point approximately to the star and then synch used to improve accuracy? I would have thought that knowing the time and location, CPWI should by able to GoTo at the appropriate location of a star without synching.

By the, the Evolution mount lacks home position switches and I think that I read that, because of this, CPWI disables (or hides) the Home command when it detects an Evolution mount. I don't see that as a problem as long as I move OTA to a the the position that I like to park it and don't move it between sessions.

#5 fuadramsey

fuadramsey

Vostok 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

I suggest creating your park position as the home position, and always park and wake up there.

I don't see why doing a go to would be a problem as long as it lets you do that. It'll be a little off, but just center the star to sync/align to with CPWI, and then sync to that star. Make sure you have a good polar alignment though if you're leaving the mount setup. You can use all star polar align with CPWI. I would get that really dialed in. It'll make everything work more accurately, however you should do another alignment after doing a polar alignment.

By the way, I use a bluetooth controller to center objects. It has to be an x-input gamepad to work correctly with CPWI. The one I use is the 8Bitdo M30 Bluetooth Gamepad. You can change slew rates, and it also works with ASCOM pad if you are not using CPWI. It makes things so much easier.

#6 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

I suggest creating your park position as the home position, and always park and wake up there.

I don't see why doing a go to would be a problem as long as it lets you do that. It'll be a little off, but just center the star to sync/align to with CPWI, and then sync to that star. Make sure you have a good polar alignment though if you're leaving the mount setup. You can use all star polar align with CPWI. I would get that really dialed in. It'll make everything work more accurately, however you should do another alignment after doing a polar alignment.

By the way, I use a bluetooth controller to center objects. It has to be an x-input gamepad to work correctly with CPWI. The one I use is the 8Bitdo M30 Bluetooth Gamepad. You can change slew rates, and it also works with ASCOM pad if you are not using CPWI. It makes things so much easier.

This is what I want to do, manually slew to OTA to a nominal position, save the pointing model then load it next time and proceed from there. The question, as you say, is whether or not CPWI makes GoTo available to point approximately to a star for synching. I will try it next time. I have a second finder camera, with a wider FOV, as long as the star comes into view on that, I will be in business.

I too use a gamepad for manual slewing (and focusing) while standing next to the 'scope. It works really well.

Another recent addition, that works really, well is a 24" screen on a monitor arm bolted to my cinder block pier, connected to the NUC by a longish thin HDMI cable. I use a cheap wireless mini keyboard/trackpad which makes is surprisingly easy to control the necessary applications to GoTo a target, centre it and focus while standing next to the 'scope. Once those tasks are done, I move indoors and control things vis RDP from another PC.

• fuadramsey likes this

#7 speedster

speedster

Messenger

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:41 PM

After telling it to use the last pointing model, CPWI prompts you to select a star and it shows suggestions.  Click on a selection and a box pops up asking you to click it to slew to the selected star.  It slews, you do the final centering, then click the box that says "done" (or something like "done")

#8 Rac19

Rac19

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

After telling it to use the last pointing model, CPWI prompts you to select a star and it shows suggestions.  Click on a selection and a box pops up asking you to click it to slew to the selected star.  It slews, you do the final centering, then click the box that says "done" (or something like "done")

Thanks, I saw the first message box and wasn't sure what was going to happen next so I cancelled because I needed to get on with things. We have cloudy weather fir the next week unfortunately.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics