•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron Rumors

equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ScottySanHo

ScottySanHo

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

I have been seeing some rumors lately regarding iOptron, and I wanted to know if anyone had any more info, or even other rumors to share. Maybe this could be a place where we could share them?

1) Regarding the new CEM26 and GEM28:

https://www.cloudyni...ioptron +cem25p

2) I heard a rumor that iOptron is working on iPolar for smartphones. Is this true?

Any other rumors you care to share?

#2 DaveSw

DaveSw

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Parksville, BC

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:56 PM

I don't have a rumour, but I did have some response from iOptron regarding when things might become clearer...

I received a response from the iOprtron FB page where I queried the possible replacement for the IEQ-30 Pro that has been discontinued - this was October 1.  Yesterday a response arrived indicating "The replacements should be announced mid/late November".  Further prompting on my part elicited the response "I just know they are coming.  waiting for details."

• ScottySanHo likes this

#3 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:09 PM

iPolar software for Android has been at the rumor stage for a while now, I think.   I'd like to see it for both Android and iOS.

• Starhawk and ScottySanHo like this

#4 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:44 AM

Rumor has it that iOptron has failed at high resolution absolute encoder implementation. iPolar, for the lack of a better word, was junk (...compared to PoleMaster), why replicate it to Android/iOS, etc.

While iOptron were good at analog mounts including SkyGuider Pro, they really need to up their game in the high resolution absolute encoding arena especially at the entry level. Matter of fact, I would like SkyGuider Pro encoded. Era of analogs is over; high resolution absolute encoding and un-guiding is the future. Hope their newly rumored products are up to the task. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 23 October 2020 - 06:57 AM.

• ScottySanHo likes this

#5 dicksonfu

dicksonfu

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

I have been seeing some rumors lately regarding iOptron, and I wanted to know if anyone had any more info, or even other rumors to share. Maybe this could be a place where we could share them?

1) Regarding the new CEM26 and GEM28:

https://www.cloudyni...ioptron +cem25p

2) I heard a rumor that iOptron is working on iPolar for smartphones. Is this true?

Any other rumors you care to share?

Yes, I learnt from the sales representative in China that they are making the WIFI adaptor and the smartphone app for iPOLAR. 

• ScottySanHo likes this

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

Rumor has it that iOptron has failed at high resolution absolute encoder implementation. iPolar, for the lack of a better word, was junk (...compared to PoleMaster), why replicate it to Android/iOS, etc.

Nothing wrong with iPolar -- I have two of them -- they work well and are much easier to use than QHY Polemaster.  

• zjc26138, psandelle, eros312 and 4 others like this

#7 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

Nothing wrong with iPolar -- I have two of them -- they work well and are much easier to use than QHY Polemaster.  

Agreed - actually I think there is nothing better.  Turn on the mount, Click "Connect" on the iPolar Windows PC Software, and start tweaking your adjustment knobs.  That's it, no rotating axis, no steps 1, 2, 3... just turn it on and tweak yer knobs. Anything iOptron can do to improve their mounts are welcome, but I'm extremely happy with CEM40

• zjc26138, psandelle, eros312 and 4 others like this

#8 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

I second davidparks comment.

• ScottySanHo and dugpatrick like this

#9 SkyfallerTac

SkyfallerTac

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

One thing that confounds me is why iOptron has not pushed their GEM's to align themselves automatically via plate solving like Celestron has done with Starsense.

They have the tech to do it..their iPolar plate solves and their Alt-Az pro and Cube series automatically align themselves (I know its not the same for a GEM but the tech/hardware is there.. the rest is just code).

If anything, its about time they released an updated mount that uses USB fully not dinosaur serial connectors or RJ42.

In a manner of speaking.. take their Alt-Az pro and give it a wedge. Freaking thing becomes EQ capable and is fully automated for alignment. Updating that with a plate-solving alignment would make it even more accurate.

• Phil Cowell, Midnight Skies, dagadget and 1 other like this

#10 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:23 PM

I think iOptron is going more for the photography market than the visual market.  Their mounts are quite serviceable but not as user-friendly for beginners or visual observers.

One very small feature request: the iPolar software should store all its settings in a file (the way it stores the dark frame), not in the Registry.  Then, if you have two iPolars, you could keep two copies of the software in separate directories and they wouldn't interfere.  As it is, I had to create a separate Windows account for my second iPolar.

Even better would be free open-source iPolar software.  I wonder how hard it would be...

• davidparks likes this

#11 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:14 PM

One very small feature request: the iPolar software should store all its settings in a file (the way it stores the dark frame), not in the Registry.  Then, if you have two iPolars, you could keep two copies of the software in separate directories and they wouldn't interfere.  As it is, I had to create a separate Windows account for my second iPolar.

This would be worth its weight in gold, not only for multiple iPolar’s, but for one (or more) iPolar’s used by two (or more) computers.

#12 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:26 PM

Your going to win todays heretic award from the old school crrowd. They will be showing up with red flashlights and pitchforks.

One thing that confounds me is why iOptron has not pushed their GEM's to align themselves automatically via plate solving like Celestron has done with Starsense.

They have the tech to do it..their iPolar plate solves and their Alt-Az pro and Cube series automatically align themselves (I know its not the same for a GEM but the tech/hardware is there.. the rest is just code).

If anything, its about time they released an updated mount that uses USB fully not dinosaur serial connectors or RJ42.

In a manner of speaking.. take their Alt-Az pro and give it a wedge. Freaking thing becomes EQ capable and is fully automated for alignment. Updating that with a plate-solving alignment would make it even more accurate.

• ScottySanHo and SkyfallerTac like this

#13 KVK67

KVK67

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fredrick, Md

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:29 AM

I have a 70G on order and completely agree.  ESPECIALLY with built in iGuider.  It is just begging for a Starsence-like application to  star align. 

#14 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:15 PM

Hmm, if Ioptron can design and make something like an iEQ75, thus an iEQ45 with higher payload capability and good weight to payload ratio, but, similar to an iEQ45, with a competitive price, I'd be very interested.

#15 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

Agreed - actually I think there is nothing better.  Turn on the mount, Click "Connect" on the iPolar Windows PC Software, and start tweaking your adjustment knobs.  That's it, no rotating axis, no steps 1, 2, 3... just turn it on and tweak yer knobs. Anything iOptron can do to improve their mounts are welcome, but I'm extremely happy with CEM40

Huh? How do you avoid the dark frame, rotational position confirmation, plate solving?

Michael

#16 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

Yeah you do need to do the initial setup including the position confirm with a rotation step. That must be done In order to determine the true centre of rotation of the mount axis. The neat thing is that can be done once in first set up, or better several times and then averaged at first set up. Then it does not need to be done again. Likewise with the black frame. So all subsequent PAs are indeed very quick. If you leave out the position confirm steps and just use the default 480,640 steps your PA will almost certainly be off as that assumes the ipolar camera is perfectly aligned with the axis of rotation. This will give your poor PA. ipolar is excellent. V2.21 of the software is probably the best, 1.2 under MacOS.

#17 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:04 PM

Yeah you do need to do the initial setup including the position confirm with a rotation step. That must be done In order to determine the true centre of rotation of the mount axis. The neat thing is that can be done once in first set up, or better several times and then averaged at first set up. Then it does not need to be done again. Likewise with the black frame. So all subsequent PAs are indeed very quick. If you leave out the position confirm steps and just use the default 480,640 steps your PA will almost certainly be off as that assumes the ipolar camera is perfectly aligned with the axis of rotation. This will give your poor PA. ipolar is excellent. V2.21 of the software is probably the best, 1.2 under MacOS.

How does it differ from v.2.30?

Michael

• RogeZ likes this

#18 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

It’s the last version with manual gain control. A few people are reporting fake stars and intermittent plate solving with 2.3 on. There is none of that with the manual gain control. I wasted a huge amount of time with more recent versions.

#19 chandrainsky

chandrainsky

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

What starsense does is helping you achieve pointing accuracy withouthaving to do 2 or 3 star alignment. That has nothing to with polar alignment. Polar alignment requires adjusting the altitude and azimuth PHYSICALLY. Not using any code. You don't need to do polar alignment at all do get a good pointing accuracy.

#20 MikeHC8

MikeHC8

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

I'm happy with my CEM25P, but a little sad that they stop making this version.  I look at the up side I can get spare parts cheap.  I know it needs some upgrades but I'm only visual person.  I feel the C8 with this CEM25P is perfect setup for me.  I guess I'm old and don't like change sometimes.

#21 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:26 AM

My experiences with my CEM25P (now sold) and my current CEM25EC's/CEM40/AZM Pro have been very good.

These days I usually only use my 80mm for eaa, and my 120mm/C-8E for vis/MOD 3.

iPolar works with ease. 

I see they now have iGuider which is positioned in the dovetail saddle. Curious how that is working out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0705-2.jpg
  • IMG_0765-2.jpg

#22 royyy

royyy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:42 AM

The cem26/gem28 was in stock in China yesterday and i already ordered one today. Don’t know why it was not even listed on their official website tho. I do have the spec sheet the vender send me but it is in Chinese.

#23 Billx

Billx

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:36 PM

What are the mount and payload weights?

• km4304 likes this

#24 royyy

royyy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:24 AM

What are the mount and payload weights?

The mount is 4.5kg or 10lbs, the capacity is 12.3kg, slightly better than 25p
  • km4304 likes this

#25 SkyfallerTac

SkyfallerTac

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

The mount is 4.5kg or 10lbs, the capacity is 12.3kg, slightly better than 25p

Does it still have serial ports or did they upgrade it all to USB for a change? :p

I was really hoping they'd modernize it and install wifi/gps and go full usb on it.

• km4304 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics