•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Veil Nebula - My most challenging target to date

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

Hi all,

Ever since starting astrophotography back in August, I've had many many many failed attempts at this amazing nebula, the Veil Nebula. I was still learning the night sky on my SW Star Adventurer Pro back then, so I was manually finding and slewing to my targets. Here's a list of failures I've faced either during the session, or planning for the session:

- I can't find it

- I can't find it

- Positioned my mount by yours truly (certified moron), so that 30minutes into the session, I got extreme closeup of a wall along my house

- I can't find it

- Still can't find it

- Oh there it is! Wait... that's not it at all

- I can't find it

- 15 minutes after polar alignment, unforecasted clouds rolled in

- 30 minutes after polar alignment, unforecasted fog rolled in

- Raccoons were curious of what I'm doing

- I found it! 30 minutes later, it's behind my house... 

- Stacked image had so much stars that it looked like a static TV screen

- Walk away after setting up, come back and see 2/3 of my shots were ruined by intermittent clouds

- Found it! Also found star trails!

- Forgot to re-set my ISO from framing only (ISO 6400) to actual imaging (ISO 800/1600), tossed 3 hours of white-out data

Until 2 nights ago, I've finally achieved some form of success:

William Optics Spacecat 51

Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro

L-eNhance

ISO 1600

Exposure 4 minutes / 240 seconds

Total integration time: 3 hours.

Looks like I will need more integration time for this faint nebula to show pop through the filter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Final-1-LG.jpg

Edited by awong101, 22 October 2020 - 03:54 PM.

• F.Meiresonne, Starman27, dswtan and 4 others like this

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

Congratulations on finally framing it nicely. Your image is a bit noisy and soft-focused. What program do you use for processing?

Michael

• awong101 likes this

#3 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:12 PM

Congratulations on finally framing it nicely. Your image is a bit noisy and soft-focused. What program do you use for processing?

Michael

Photoshop. You are correct, I may have went overboard with the noise removal in post processing.

Do you think even long soaking time will help further reduce noise? This had 30 darks, 40 flats and 40 bias frames incorporated into it.

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:23 PM

Since I am not familiar with Photoshop anymore, I cannot advise you on it.  There is a program called Astra Image that does nicely in sharpening images. 

Michael

• awong101 likes this

#5 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

Since I am not familiar with Photoshop anymore, I cannot advise you on it.  There is a program called Astra Image that does nicely in sharpening images. 

Michael

Do think Astra Image will re-introduce noise sharpening a processed image? Thanks!

Edited by awong101, 22 October 2020 - 05:34 PM.

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

very nice , thanks .

• awong101 likes this

#7 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:27 AM

very nice , thanks .

Thank you!

#8 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:03 PM

Do think Astra Image will re-introduce noise sharpening a processed image? Thanks!

Not if you apply it sparingly.

Michael

• awong101 likes this

#9 limeyx

limeyx

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:00 PM

You should be able to solve the "can't find it" pretty easily by setting up blind plate-solving in APT or similar program

Even if you GOTO is not working, you ought to be able to find it in 10-15 mins of taking shots and moving the mount manuall

• awong101 likes this

#10 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

You should be able to solve the "can't find it" pretty easily by setting up blind plate-solving in APT or similar program

Even if you GOTO is not working, you ought to be able to find it in 10-15 mins of taking shots and moving the mount manuall

I was stubborn and hell bent on learning the night sky by manually slewing with my Star Adventurer Pro... Those were all of the "I can't find it" nights... haha :)

I refuse to use my HEQ5 Pro mount on a target unless I've found it myself manually first.

• limeyx likes this

#11 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Apollo

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

Good on you for sticking with it and getting a nice image! I know the feeling... The blue horsehead is my white whale.. I have a very narrow window for capturing it, and something went wrong. Every. Single. Time. 

• awong101 likes this

#12 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:19 PM

Good on you for sticking with it and getting a nice image! I know the feeling... The blue horsehead is my white whale.. I have a very narrow window for capturing it, and something went wrong. Every. Single. Time. 

Pleiades is about to my next PITA target. I don't know why, anytime I slew over to the Pleiades, it's like I started a ticking time bomb in my backyard.

There are many improvements I want to try on my next attempt at Veil. So I am glad that I've momentarily conquered it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics