•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexus II and android- wifi problem and/or "your tablet choice?"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:02 PM

I have an Astro Devices Nexus II and want to connect to it from an android tablet.

1. With the tablet I have the wifi from the Nexus "saves, connecting, saves, disabled". Ideas? It does connect with a borrowed Kindle and a laptop.

2. Is there a cheap tablet that you use that DOES connect and run SkySafari 6?

Don't want to buy another one and find out it too will not connect.

I really don't need much firepower and am planning on only using the tablet for the Nexus, no other apps..Smallish screens are fine.

Edited by Maxtrixbass, 22 October 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#2 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

FWIW, I'm using a Lenovo M8 HD (8 inch, Android 9) tablet no problems. My phone (Realme 6, Android 10) works no problems with the Nexus II as well. The Lenovo battery last forever and connection is very stable, though the same is true of the phone as well.

• Maxtrixbass likes this

#3 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:37 PM

FWIW, I'm using a Lenovo M8 HD (8 inch, Android 9) tablet no problems. My phone (Realme 6, Android 10) works no problems with the Nexus II as well. The Lenovo battery last forever and connection is very stable, though the same is true of the phone as well.

Thank you. Looks like a good choice for what I was after and nice to know it will work.

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

Yeah, I am also looking at a Lenovo M8 with a similar intended usage connecting to a mount (although not a Nexus II) via wifi. So it is interesting to hear the Lenovo works here.

#5 xrayvizhen

xrayvizhen

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Randolph, NJ

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

From my experience with Android devices and Nexis II, different versions of Android will detect that the Nexus Wi-Fi network has no internet access and will behave differently. With the latest update Android should ask if you want to stay connected to Nexus or not. The question pop-up box will only be visible for a few seconds and if you don't answer "Yes" quickly, it will disconnect from the Nexus network. You can also trick Android into forgetting your home network which should help it stay connected to the Nexus.

It took me awhile, with help from Serge from Astro Devices, to figure out the problem but I've since used the Nexus II successfully with Sky Safari both with an Android phone (Google Pixel 3a) and a cheap Walmart tablet (ONN is the brand) without any problems.

Edited by xrayvizhen, 24 October 2020 - 08:57 AM.

• Maxtrixbass likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics