•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars sketch 22 Oct

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:17 PM

We're being spoiled with a mostly cloud free evening and night, mediocre seeing predicted because the jet stream is camping over these parts, but every chance to have a look at Mars is not to be snubbed at right now!

Seeing is indeed below average and everything is dripping wet from fog, I have to constantly wipe the ep lenses. But the huge size of the disk makes up for it, I also feel i'm slowly getting my observer's eye back a little and can capitalize on the short moments the view steadies a bit more.

Interestingly the planet looked more pink/orange than a few days ago, I have no idea why that is, but I tried to capture it in the sketch. I also experimented a bit with the mare colours but am not yet satisfied with the reality factor.

This sketch is less than an hour old, and I hope to get another peek within an hour or so when Mars has climbed a bit higher.

Photo of raw unprocessed pencil sketch

gallery_5255_3710_43112.jpg

• Special Ed, Magellanico, frank5817 and 9 others like this

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

Kris, yes, take advantage of the opportunities. For mediocre seeing, you did very well getting your observing eye in gear. That's what it's all about. I also notice some apparent differences in color of Mars. One night it looked more yellowish to me, then next it was more distinctly orange. Must be the atmosphere. Great observation for a large aperture in mediocre seeing. I think that speaks to the benefit of aperture and a keen eye. 

#3 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

Great drawing Kris, thanks for sharing.

#4 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

Well, no second sketch tonight, seeing deteriorated even though mars climbed another 10°, the view at cm 74° is similar enough to cm 82° last monday to pack things in and go to bed.

Kris, yes, take advantage of the opportunities. For mediocre seeing, you did very well getting your observing eye in gear. That's what it's all about. I also notice some apparent differences in color of Mars. One night it looked more yellowish to me, then next it was more distinctly orange. Must be the atmosphere. Great observation for a large aperture in mediocre seeing. I think that speaks to the benefit of aperture and a keen eye. 

Absytec, this makes me wonder: Is it something of a rule of thumb that under mediocre or poor seeing smaller apertures tend to perform better? If so, I tend to not disagree:

I've only ever used an 8" f/5 dob from around 2000 untill 2009, then I got me a 12" f/5 dob in search for extra aperture to improve my planetary viewing.

The 12" is the workhorse and the 8" doesn't get used anymore. however I was not blown away with what the extra 50% aperture increase brought, I expected more of it. sure the image is a lot brighter, which supports higher magnification, but as seeing is usually mediocre over here I mostly observe planets at around 300x and rarely push to 400x or let alone 500x (I think i've only once or twice went around or above 500x in almost 2 decades!).

So I get the impression that the 12" only surpasses the 8" and excels when the seeing is really, really good.

Looking back at my Mars sketches from 2005 and 2007/08, they don't show a lot less detail than the following oppositions from 2009/10, 2011/12, 2013/14 and the few sketches from 2016 & 2018.

Given the extra hassle to set up the 12" instead of the smaller 8", I maybe should go back to the 8" which I can also mount on an EQ platform, and break out the 12" when the seeing is outstanding?! lol.gif

Edited by Kris., 22 October 2020 - 06:20 PM.

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

Kris, I dunno. I think, depending on seeing, larger apertures do better even though they are somewhat more affected. Some folks argue otherwise. I didnt intend to drag that debate into the sketching forum, just saying you did good regardless of which is true.

I'm usually in the 300x to 400x range on planets. I have gone as high as 600x on Saturn's rings, they are bright enough.

Edited by Asbytec, 22 October 2020 - 06:38 PM.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Kris,

Fine sketching. Happy for you that you got it in.

Hope you skies clear off again soon.

We just need to take advantage of these opportunities.

Frank :)

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Kris,

Fine sketch of Mars (On 22 Oct) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#8 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:59 AM

Lots of detail there Kris waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics