•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Balancing Celestron Edge HD8 with Celestron Focuser

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 King3b

King3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

I've installed the Celestron motorized focuser on my Edge HD8.  With it attached, the balance point for Dec axis is very different.  It seems to me that I need a counter weight opposite the focuser on the other side of the handle.  Has anyone else dealt with this and come up with a solution?

Thanks,

Howard

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3864.jpg

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

What mount are you using?

I have an Evolution with a fully loaded OTA (Starsense and RACI illuminated finderscope) including camera and Hyperstar and MKIT20 focusser/motor. It is seriously unbalanced but works great. If anything the front end loading helps tracking etc.  Depends on mount, but you might be worrying unnecessarily. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 22 October 2020 - 04:36 PM.

#3 KTAZ

KTAZ

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

I haven't yet considered trying to offset it, but it definitely does cause some imbalance on the DEC axis. The big question is whether that is sufficient to effect image quality.

#4 King3b

King3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

I have a NEQ6 Mount. And actually I mostly have to deal with my RA guiding being larger than my Dec guiding. My Dec guiding is typically pretty stable. I haven’t actually done any Astrophotography with the focuser attached yet however. The imbalance is just very noticeable.

#5 King3b

King3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

I have a NEQ6 Mount. And actually I mostly have to deal with my RA guiding being larger than my Dec guiding. My Dec guiding is typically pretty stable. I haven’t actually done any Astrophotography with the focuser attached yet however. The imbalance is just very noticeable.

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:04 AM

I use adhesive backed wheel weights for balance.

Stan

#7 King3b

King3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:07 AM

Stan,

Are these "wheel weights" for cars?  I'm not familiar with them.  Can you point me to a link showing what they look like?

#8 King3b

King3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

Stan,  

I found them online.  Thanks!

Howard

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics