•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI294MC-Pro in hi-res mode gives only monochrome

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 audioengr

audioengr

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

I used SharpCap last night to get color images of M33.  I took flats and darks at 2 minute exposure.  I set the camera mode to 16-bit for the first time, which selects 14-bit mode.  The captures I find this morning are all monochrome, not color. There is also a tiny grid pattern on the low-level details in the photo.

I am testing this by capturing terrestrial images today with SharpCap with no flats or darks and they are in color on the screen, but when I take a "snapshot" and look at the PNG or TIF file, it's monochrome and has the grid pattern in the lighter areas.  I think I have tried all of the settings on the right hand side and nothing changes it to color.

I recently did a sensor analysis for this camera.  Could it be that went awry somehow?

Prior to doing the sensor analysis, I was getting color images using 10-bit mode.

Also, when I take flats, it asks whether I want a monochrome flat frame.  Should this be checked for a color camera?

Also asks "capture and subtract bias frames" - should I check this one?

Edited by audioengr, 22 October 2020 - 04:36 PM.

#2 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:40 PM

I used SharpCap last night to get color images of M33.  I took flats and darks at 2 minute exposure.  I set the camera mode to 16-bit for the first time, which selects 14-bit mode.  The captures I find this morning are all monochrome, not color. There is also a tiny grid pattern on the low-level details in the photo.

I believe that SharpCap is saving the files in a raw format, so the colors are contained in separate layers.  You need to open the file with a program that will "debayer" the image correctly.

• Midnight Dan and khobar like this

#3 audioengr

audioengr

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

I believe that SharpCap is saving the files in a raw format, so the colors are contained in separate layers.  You need to open the file with a program that will "debayer" the image correctly.

Okay.  Looks like Autostakkert debayers it automatically when you have lots of subs.  Since I am only trying to debayer a single frame, I need to use something else.  Thanks.

#4 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:50 PM

Try Siril, it can debated single frames.

Clear skies,  BG. {°¿°}

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics