•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SharpCap Flats and Darks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 audioengr

audioengr

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

I created Flats and Darks in SharpCap and applied them to the right hand side controls.  When I do a "Start Capture", do the stored subs have the darks and flats applied to them?

If I turn off this feature, how do I apply these same Darks and Flats files in postprocessing?  Is the best place in Registax?

SharpCap has an option to create a bias file as well, or combine it in the dark, not sure.  Is this a good thing to checkbox?

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

I created Flats and Darks in SharpCap and applied them to the right hand side controls.  When I do a "Start Capture", do the stored subs have the darks and flats applied to them?

When you say "applied them to the right hand side controls", if you mean you specified the master dark and flat files in the "Preprocessing" Tab, the answer is yes. Darks and flats are used as part of  preprocessing and so the saved frames will have these calibrations automatically applied prior to saving them. See the SharpCap manual here.

• Dynan likes this

#3 audioengr

audioengr

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

When you say "applied them to the right hand side controls", if you mean you specified the master dark and flat files in the "Preprocessing" Tab, the answer is yes. Darks and flats are used as part of  preprocessing and so the saved frames will have these calibrations automatically applied prior to saving them. See the SharpCap manual here.

Okay, thanks.  That's what I wanted to know.  I wasn't sure if that was only for live-stacking or for capturing as well.

• alphatripleplus likes this

#4 goldtr8

goldtr8

Ranger 4

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

Each frame when saved as a FITS does not have the darks or flats applied.   The application of flats & darks take place to what you are seeing on the screen live view or stack.   When you save a stack as a PNG the darks and flats are applied to the PNG.   This has been discussed on the SharpCap forum as it seems to be very confusing.

You can verify this by using the folder capture and restack with out the calibration frames turned on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics