•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn, October 21st with the Q3.5

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

October certainly has been "planet parade month," and my region has been blessed with the skies to take advantage of it. Even though Jupiter and Saturn are somewhat low in the sky and the seeing not optimum as a result, their rare paring now makes it easy to try some imaging.

I had tried Jupiter some time ago with a C8 with disappointing results, the main issue being poor seeing that night and inability to achieve proper focus. Seeing last night, although average (compounded by the low angle) was better. After more than a dozen captures on my Q3.5, here's the best result, this one with 1777 frames in about a 80-second exposure on a ZWO ASI120MC camera coupled with a Celestron Ultima SV Series (93506) 2x Barlow, SharpCap, Registax 6, and PS Elements.

50518205586_781828dde0_m.jpg

Right behind Jupiter (nearly literally) was Saturn, my first-ever attempt, using the same equipment and applications, 664 frames (due to longer exposures).

50518379077_4a35a8f373_m.jpg

Cheers, Allan

Edited by ETXer, 22 October 2020 - 08:43 PM.

• TerryWood, Terra Nova, Johninuk and 2 others like this

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Vostok 1

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

Nice work Allen.    Just out of curiosity, on Jupiter,  what was the exposure setting, shutter speed??  Also, how long did it take to process to final image,  sort and stacking not included,   roughly??

Thanks again,   Joe

• ETXer likes this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:49 PM

nice thanks .

• ETXer likes this

#4 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

Nice work Allen.    Just out of curiosity, on Jupiter,  what was the exposure setting, shutter speed??  Also, how long did it take to process to final image,  sort and stacking not included,   roughly??

Thanks again,   Joe

Thanks Joe! For that capture, I used a 800x600 frame size; my polar alignment was ok, but not perfect and I needed a larger frame to allow for a little "wander." This requires a slightly longer exposure time, thus reducing the frame rate. Also, my ASI120MC camera is hooked up to my old Windows 7 netbook, so that also limits the data transfer somewhat (USB 2). Anyway, looking at the SharpCap data record, the exposure time was 0.046352 seconds per frame, 1777 frames resulting in an actual capture duration of 82 seconds and a frame rate of 21.5 fps. Also, the gain was a little on the high side at 80.

I tried many different combinations of shutter speed vs. gain vs. capture duration and that one had the best result... the big takeaway was the more frames, the better. But also, with Jupiter's relatively fast rotation, captures need to be limited to about a minute to 90 seconds.

I did all the aligning, stacking and sharpening (wavelets) in Registax 6; each capture took me about 15 to 20 minutes to get it all done (yes, my slow netbook again... but it works!).

I hope that helps! Cheers, Allan

Edited by ETXer, 22 October 2020 - 08:49 PM.

#5 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Vostok 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:11 AM

Thank you Allan.  I just got in from my neighbors house, imaging Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.  A 12" Meade SCT and a Meade DSI color camera.  Both of us have older equipment.  I use a Q7 with a DSI color camera.  Exposures range from .02 to ..446 for Jupiter,  getting 50 - 60 frames  a minute.   I am the type of person who likes to take images, then spend about 20 - 30 minutes processing them then share them.  

My pictures that I last posted are in the Questar forum 

https://www.cloudyni...images-with-q7/

They are nowhere as good as you and everyone elses because I think the camera.   I can't imagine getting 80 frames a second,  on a good night maybe 55 a minute.  I am hoping by Christmas to have a new camera,  either QHY or ZWO 462.

From time to time do a search on the Questar forum for Q7 for photos to come,  now there are only three.

Thanks again,  Joe

• ETXer likes this

#6 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

Nice results!

• ETXer likes this

#7 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:37 AM

Nice images Allan! Jupiter and Saturn are tough targets right now due to their elevation. Hope to see more of your images! V/R Terry
  • ETXer likes this

#8 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

Thank you Allan.  I just got in from my neighbors house, imaging Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.  A 12" Meade SCT and a Meade DSI color camera.  Both of us have older equipment.  I use a Q7 with a DSI color camera.  Exposures range from .02 to ..446 for Jupiter,  getting 50 - 60 frames  a minute.   I am the type of person who likes to take images, then spend about 20 - 30 minutes processing them then share them.  

My pictures that I last posted are in the Questar forum 

https://www.cloudyni...images-with-q7/

They are nowhere as good as you and everyone elses because I think the camera.   I can't imagine getting 80 frames a second,  on a good night maybe 55 a minute.  I am hoping by Christmas to have a new camera,  either QHY or ZWO 462.

From time to time do a search on the Questar forum for Q7 for photos to come,  now there are only three.

Thanks again,  Joe

Nicely done Joe! One thing I've learned is that this is one of the most unintuitive undertakings I've ever done, the learning curve is quite steep. I'm looking forward to seeing more from the Q7!

Nice results!

Thanks Todd! After some aborted previous attempts, it's great to get something other than a bright fuzzy orb.

Nice images Allan! Jupiter and Saturn are tough targets right now due to their elevation. Hope to see more of your images! V/R Terry

Thank you Terry! Absolutely, the seeing due to the low elevation made it challenging; I'm looking forward to trying again the next time they come around at higher angles and compare the results. And yet I'm always amazed at what the Q3.5 is capable of!

Cheers, Allan

Edited by ETXer, 23 October 2020 - 10:10 AM.

• TerryWood likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics