•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone use a CCD/CMOS camera with canon lenses?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Biggin Hill, Greater London, Bortle 6

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:14 PM

Hi all,

In short, I'm looking to move into CCD/CMOS astrophotography but my budget is severely limited. I can afford a ZWO ASI385MC but not much else.

I would be doing DSO imaging almost exclusively and would like to know if anyone has used this type of camera with Canon EF lenses as I would like to keep using my 70-300mm until I can afford a better mount and a small refractor.

So, is a ZWO ASI385MC and a 70-300mm canon lens doable? Please bear in mind that I'm not after perfect images or anything...I'm happy to learn and upgrade later. I realise what I'm suggesting isn't great, I just want to know if it will work well enough.

I've had wonderful success with my 4000d and f5 6 70-300mm and would just like to try out CCD/CMOS imaging as everyone seems to recommend that route.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my NOTE 10 using Tapatalk

#2 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:57 PM

Watch this video by Cuiv, The Lazy Geek:

https://www.youtube....h?v=D78P1h_a50Q

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:07 AM

Yes - I use Canon 200, 300 and 400 lenses with the ZWO EOS adapter.  I have an ASI2600MC Pro.

Edited by Jim Waters, 23 October 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#4 nathanm

nathanm

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:29 AM

I use Canon lenses, or Canon mount lenses from other makers, with QHY 410c and QHY 367c

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:08 AM

This is from the lens Canon 300mm 2.8 mk1 with QHY163M and filters.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette-SHOfinal.jpg

#6 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:11 AM

Another one with same lens Canon 300 and QHY163M and Ha filter only

Attached Thumbnails

• Heart Nebula.jpg

#7 alan.dang

alan.dang

Ranger 4

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:12 AM

The Canon super teles have filter drawers that can be adapted to use astronomy filters. The regular lenses generally do not have enough back focus to use filters so you have to use one shot color cameras if you want color.

Capturing black and white photos with your monochrome camera and your Canon lens is a worthwhile approach, understanding that it only makes sense when you have the best apochromatic lenses (which unfortunately, the 75-300 is not).

My bias is to get a new lens with your existing DSLR than to get a nee camera.

#8 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Soyuz

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:40 AM

B58E1765-6D16-4803-BBDC-3F2BFC47B7A1.jpeg

Canon 200mm lens

Precise Parts adapter

Starlight Xpress filter wheel

ZWO ASI 1600MM-Cool

Starlight Instruments belt driven focusing with feather touch motor and MicroTouch controller

#9 Simon D.

Simon D.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:45 AM

I have, but always primes, and most EF lens photos that look good are primes.    Most people’s experience with zooms isn’t very good (ghosting, reflections, poor star shape, not sharp). If you want a cheap alternative, find a canon-mount Rokinon 135mm f2, they’re Sharp, not very expensive and do a good job on wider targets. Thé Samyang 135 F2 is the same lens.  They’re manual focus, but Astro is manual focus anyway.  Here’s one taken with it and ASI294MC Pro. 

Attached Thumbnails

• BD65EC3B-67DB-4CE6-8229-6A96ADA25487.jpeg

• CCD-Freak and Faris like this

#10 nfotis

nfotis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

There are various adapters for attaching Canon EF lenses to astro cameras. Note that the backfocus of EF lenses from the mount to the sensor is 44mm, so cramming a filter wheel and a camera is a bit tight.

Since you have a colour sensor, you don't need a filter wheel. If you want to use a monochrome sensor and filter wheel, I would suggest the Astromechanics adapter 17mm version:
https://www.astromec....org/ascom.html

Since your budget is tight, a mechanical adapter from ZWO is another option (you will have to focus manually, probably using a follow focus ring).

This adapter is for direct mounting an ASI camera to EOS lenses (no filter wheel):
https://astronomy-im...all-asi-cameras

If you are planning to use also a filter wheel, check out the other versions for 1.25" and 2" filters:
https://astronomy-im...adapter-for-efw

Some very good Canon lenses, besides the aforementioned Samyang 135mm could be: 85mm/1.8, 105mm/2.8 macro, 135mm/2, 200mm/2.8, 70-200/4L etc.

Hope this helps,
N.F.

#11 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

I have, but always primes, and most EF lens photos that look good are primes. Most people’s experience with zooms isn’t very good (ghosting, reflections, poor star shape, not sharp). If you want a cheap alternative, find a canon-mount Rokinon 135mm f2, they’re Sharp, not very expensive and do a good job on wider targets. Thé Samyang 135 F2 is the same lens. They’re manual focus, but Astro is manual focus anyway. Here’s one taken with it and ASI294MC Pro.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I know my telephoto lens isn't that great and it does suffer from coma a lot but I'm not that bothered about its shortcomings for the time being. I'll pursue that sort of excellence in a couple of years.

Contrary to what almost everyone said, the 70-300mm, despite its very obvious drawbacks, has achieved SO much more than I ever imagined when I stared AP this past April.

So, for now, I'm happy to stick with it, with the knowledge that a faster prime would be much better.

For the time being, since my budget won't stretch to a new mount or a telescope to use with the ASI, I'm happy to stick to using it with my current lens. And I'm very very happy to see other member in this thread show that the combination works.

I do appreciate what you are advising, it's just not the route I want to take for the moment. I'm happy with imperfect images for now as I'm learning so much and having lots of fun.

Cheers

#12 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:34 PM

There are various adapters for attaching Canon EF lenses to astro cameras. Note that the backfocus of EF lenses from the mount to the sensor is 44mm, so cramming a filter wheel and a camera is a bit tight.

Since you have a colour sensor, you don't need a filter wheel. If you want to use a monochrome sensor and filter wheel, I would suggest the Astromechanics adapter 17mm version:
https://www.astromec....org/ascom.html

Since your budget is tight, a mechanical adapter from ZWO is another option (you will have to focus manually, probably using a follow focus ring).

This adapter is for direct mounting an ASI camera to EOS lenses (no filter wheel):
https://astronomy-im...all-asi-cameras

If you are planning to use also a filter wheel, check out the other versions for 1.25" and 2" filters:
https://astronomy-im...adapter-for-efw

Some very good Canon lenses, besides the aforementioned Samyang 135mm could be: 85mm/1.8, 105mm/2.8 macro, 135mm/2, 200mm/2.8, 70-200/4L etc.

Hope this helps,
N.F.

Amazing. Thank you so much for the information and the links.

#13 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:35 PM

Another one with same lens Canon 300 and QHY163M and Ha filter only

Lovely work mate.

#14 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:35 PM

This is from the lens Canon 300mm 2.8 mk1 with QHY163M and filters.

Stunning.

#15 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:36 PM

Yes - I use Canon 200, 300 and 400 lenses with the ZWO EOS adapter. I have an ASI2600MC Pro.

Good to know. Thanks

#16 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:37 PM

The Canon super teles have filter drawers that can be adapted to use astronomy filters. The regular lenses generally do not have enough back focus to use filters so you have to use one shot color cameras if you want color.

Capturing black and white photos with your monochrome camera and your Canon lens is a worthwhile approach, understanding that it only makes sense when you have the best apochromatic lenses (which unfortunately, the 75-300 is not).

My bias is to get a new lens with your existing DSLR than to get a nee camera.

Well, next year I'll be buying a scope and HEQ5, but I'd like to get into astro cams. Also, I'll be buying a colour version, not mono.

Thanks for the reply and advice.

#17 alan.dang

alan.dang

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:18 AM

Well, next year I'll be buying a scope and HEQ5, but I'd like to get into astro cams. Also, I'll be buying a colour version, not mono.

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Since you are getting good results with your current 70-300, maybe just deposit your funds for planned purchases in the bank for a while. As long as sky glow or light pollution is the limiting factor, a cooled color camera won’t actually get you a lot more performance than a good DSLR.

The reason I push for the scope is that if you use the formulas for DSO imaging that look at aperture and f/ratio, you can do a lot more than the 53mm clear aperture at 300/5.6.

A 400/5.6 would collect almost twice as much nebulosity than a 300/5.6 even though both are f/5.6 based purely on the aperture. What took your 300/5.6 60 seconds can be done in 34 seconds. Even the fancy QHY600M won’t give you a true 2X in QE in color from your DSLR. The 400/5.6 from Canon might actually do more than predicted because I would expect actual light loss to be more in the 300/5.6.

I wasn’t sure what software you were using. Astropixelprocessor is very good and can net results better than you’re currently getting especially if you turn on all of the normalization features that are good enough to allow merging of mosaics from different optical setups.

#18 Chanctonbury

Chanctonbury

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern England

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

I use a Canon 200L prime lens on my Starlight Xpress SXVF-M25C OSC CCD camera and previously with a Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9 and SXV-H9C. I made up my own T mount to Canon female bayonet adaptor and this has an internal thread to take an IDAS light pollution filter. I use a filter reduction ring (72mm to 52mm) on the front of the lens to stop it down to give improved star shapes without the usual issue of introducing diffraction spikes from the leaves of the built in iris.

I designed an autofocus system for it and use a finder-guider for autoguiding with the whole unit installed on a Losmandy dovetail.

Canon_200_astro.jpg

Edited by Chanctonbury, 25 October 2020 - 05:20 PM.

#19 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

I have had a zwo-ef magnetic filter drawer adapter on backorder for 2 months. At this rate im guessing sometime in 2025 I can report back on its performance.

Edited by calypsob, 26 October 2020 - 02:21 PM.

#20 gregbradley

gregbradley

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:05 PM

I have done a lot of lens on CCD camera imaging. Not sure there are too many Canon lenses that are really good for this.

The 200mm L is one I see a lot and seems to be good.

I have mainly used Pentax 6x7 lenses. These were designed for medium format so cover a very large sensor.

They also are often high quality and are plentiful and cheap on Ebay. You can also get adapters for them down to Canon or Nikon mounts.

The best Pentax lenses I have used are:

1. Pentax 645 300mm F4 EDIF (this is a super value as it has 2 ED elements in it which is rare in telescopes).

2. Pentax 6 x 7 300mm F4 EDIF  this is a bit more expensive but is the best around.

3. Pentax SMC 200mm I have seen lots of good images from this one.

4. Pentax 6 x 7 165mm F2.8  good wide open.

5. Pentax 6x7 75mm F5.6 a great widefield lens for Milky Way or large objects.

6. Pentax 6 x 7 55mm - needs to be stopped down but still quite good.

There is also a Pentax 6x7 400mm F4 EDIF. 

Except for the 300mmF4 EDIF 6 x 7 which goes for around US$1000 or the 645 for about US$500, the others are quite cheap. Some are under $100.

I have a lot images done with several of those lenses if you want to see samples.

Greg.

#21 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:31 PM

I have done a lot of lens on CCD camera imaging. Not sure there are too many Canon lenses that are really good for this.

The 200mm L is one I see a lot and seems to be good.

I have mainly used Pentax 6x7 lenses. These were designed for medium format so cover a very large sensor.

They also are often high quality and are plentiful and cheap on Ebay. You can also get adapters for them down to Canon or Nikon mounts.

The best Pentax lenses I have used are:

1. Pentax 645 300mm F4 EDIF (this is a super value as it has 2 ED elements in it which is rare in telescopes).

2. Pentax 6 x 7 300mm F4 EDIF  this is a bit more expensive but is the best around.

3. Pentax SMC 200mm I have seen lots of good images from this one.

4. Pentax 6 x 7 165mm F2.8  good wide open.

5. Pentax 6x7 75mm F5.6 a great widefield lens for Milky Way or large objects.

6. Pentax 6 x 7 55mm - needs to be stopped down but still quite good.

There is also a Pentax 6x7 400mm F4 EDIF. 

Except for the 300mmF4 EDIF 6 x 7 which goes for around US$1000 or the 645 for about US$500, the others are quite cheap. Some are under $100.

I have a lot images done with several of those lenses if you want to see samples.

Greg.

Yes, samples and adapter link, i have Mamiya and Hasselblad lenses and would like to use those.

#22 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:40 AM

I have been really into this lately and have been using a Canon ES135mm with a ASI1600MM and filters. Here are some of the images:

IC1795LSHO SMI

NGC7822LSHO SMI

IC1396LSHO SMI

NGC7000WF LSHO SMI

I have a bunch more data sets and mosaic to process also. I use an astrometric lens focuser and it works great. Check this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...15mm-lenses-ha/

Edited by cfosterstars, 29 October 2020 - 09:42 AM.

#23 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

I have been really into this lately and have been using a Canon ES135mm with a ASI1600MM and filters. Here are some of the images:

I have a bunch more data sets and mosaic to process also. I use an astrometric lens focuser and it works great. Check this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...15mm-lenses-ha/

Very nice images, great job!

From your signature i see you have two ASI1600mm but you don't use ZWO filter wheel, so either you don't like it or you bought something else as mentioned because it was better? I have 1.25" filters size so i feel like ZWO filter wheel allowing me to be near the filters more.

#24 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

Very nice images, great job!

From your signature i see you have two ASI1600mm but you don't use ZWO filter wheel, so either you don't like it or you bought something else as mentioned because it was better? I have 1.25" filters size so i feel like ZWO filter wheel allowing me to be near the filters more.

I have not updated my signature lately. I actually have 5 different filter wheels: Atik, QHY, ZWO, StarlightXP, and Optec. ZWO wheels are fine and that is actually the one paired with an ASI1600MM-PRO and the Astrometric focus controller for one of my Canon Lens setups ( I have two). THe main issue is backfocus. The Astrometrics controllers are 18mm and the camera is 6mm. You only have 44mm of backfocus so you only have 20mm available for a filter wheel. So for my ASI071MC-Pro, I cant use a filter wheel since the camera has 17mm of backfocus and not 6mm.The Astrometrics is VERY nice and I can run autofocus on the lens with Sequence Generator Pro. The system works very well and is quite compact with no belts or mechanical linkage.

#25 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

I have not updated my signature lately. I actually have 5 different filter wheels: Atik, QHY, ZWO, StarlightXP, and Optec. ZWO wheels are fine and that is actually the one paired with an ASI1600MM-PRO and the Astrometric focus controller for one of my Canon Lens setups ( I have two). THe main issue is backfocus. The Astrometrics controllers are 18mm and the camera is 6mm. You only have 44mm of backfocus so you only have 20mm available for a filter wheel. So for my ASI071MC-Pro, I cant use a filter wheel since the camera has 17mm of backfocus and not 6mm.The Astrometrics is VERY nice and I can run autofocus on the lens with Sequence Generator Pro. The system works very well and is quite compact with no belts or mechanical linkage.

For that purpose i have enough kind of adapters and extensions and rings so i can manage any kind of distances i need, it is always about the required focus distance for the scope or lens whether there is flattener/correctors/reducers or not to the sensor, so if i fix the camera side then it is easy to play with distance left to reach the requirement, i mean if they said you need 44mm for your lens, say i have 17mm with camera and the filter wheel is 20mm, that is 37mm, so you need only 7mm for example, i do have 5mm extension, i also have 3mm extension, and i have small rings that are between 0.1mm up to 0.5mm, i really don't know why it can be difficult, it is only the person laziness not trying to experiment.

My point is, i don't mind of using any kind of filter wheel, but because i have only 1.25" Astrodon/Chroma filters so i can't replace those, and then i need the best option to make those filters closer to the camera sensor, and with ASI1600mm i think i can just mount the camera directly to the filter wheel without needed to any kind of ring adapters even if it is 1mm thickness, unless other filter wheels having the same mount for camera to match, i don't have problem using ZWO one because it is cheaper and it connect directly, can you find anything cheaper or as cheap as ZWO one and connect directly? i don't gave another cameras except this ZWO and QHY so i don't worry about different filter wheels yet, and i don't use my DSLR for DSO imaging anyway.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics