•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"A scope under 7 inches aperture is of no use observing planets"

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 E_Look

E_Look

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: near New York

Posted 21 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

Billy, I totally agree with your sentiments.

I have often thought about getting some big Dob or other big scope.  But carrying out (by pieces, even!) my 8" SkyView Pro GEM system is enough for me.  Any heavier, I probably would lose interest in stargazing.  In fact even as it is, this summer, carrying out the mount with tripod attached, somehow, one of the legs caught the turf, tore out a divot, and sent me falling, almost on top of the mount.  Of course, it... and I... fell onto the paved path, not the grass.  I got a scabbed over bruise on my shin for several days and my spreader was bent (restraightened amateurishly with a pair of pliers).  What's it going to be like in ten years, or even five?

Yeah, after that, I was a lot more careful, making sure no tripod leg tips the soil, especially when my pant leg rubbed against the scab over the bruise.

I suppose, get as much scope as you can handle without emotional resistance when you think of taking the scope outside.  Of course, each of our circumstances vary: I am in suburban New York, and even there, there's more concrete than air molecules over the same area; someone else may be by the drier and more open-air and lower-crime states and so may be able to either keep their scopes mounted outside or have the space and wherewithal to make it more easily mobile.  Therefore, this guy may be able to handle more scope (a.k.a mass, or, weight) than a city boy (I suspect elevators and stairs are not very friendly to telescope transportation).

If you don't in the end want to take your scope outside, it won't matter how big or how good it is!

#52 MaknMe

MaknMe

Vostok 1

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:21 PM

This past year, I have spent countless hours observing each of the other seven planets (and a few of the minor planets) with my 5 inch Mak. I really enjoy the crisp views it provides. Perhaps the views in my scope would not please some others, but they thoroughly delight me.
  • E_Look, SkyETC and dhkaiser like this

#53 E_Look

E_Look

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: near New York

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:05 PM

There!  I think this man has the right idea!

#54 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:28 PM

I observed the conjunction in a combination of ST80 and XT6.  

Planetary and less than 7".  Had lots of fun...

#55 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 27 December 2020 - 05:03 PM

I speak for many when I say this is not true. I have personally enjoyed many hours of observing the planets with my 6-inch Newtonian/Dobsonian as well as other smaller telescopes that include Maks, and refractors. Most folks just want to enjoy an evening with the stars and planets, for which a large, and expensive telescope is not required.

Taras

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics