•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 1333 and the death of a camera and 20+ mice

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oslo/Norway

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

After shooting the first 10 minute sub back in October 2015, I finally had enough subs this month to try processing NGC 1333. It is an object I've seen in so many beautiful versions on the forum, and I've wanted to have a go at it since the day I started shooting DSO. But Scandinavia isn't exactly desert environment, so getting enough data proved a battle against clouds, mist, haze, frost, dew, wolves, snow, moonlight and now these last few weeks an invasion of mice! Cute little rascals, but they absolutely LOVE dew straps and the soft kind or rubber insulation around cables for astro equipment. It is funny, but they actually target cables for astro equipment. Anyway, I lost count after killing 20 in four days (I hope to God the Buddhists aren't right). 

All in all this is 37hrs and 40 min of 600s exposures with Astrodon Gen 2 LRGB filters. The telescope is an Epsilon 180ed and the trusty old QSI camera diead after taking the last sub on October 17th, may it rest in peace. What a beautiful piece of equipment it was, chugging along in -25C for days and weeks and months. It did the job well and now I'm transitioning to CMOS. 

Larger versions, more tech specs and more images here: https://flic.kr/p/2jYaUre

Stay healthy!

Clear skies,

Ginge

50518770543_8d2ef90f3d_k.jpg

• Stelios, diggy, Magellanico and 39 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:35 AM

very nice , superb details , thanks .

#3 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:57 AM

Thanks a lot!!

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

Superb effort!

(I hope to God the Buddhists aren't right).

Oh, He was right alright...

#5 RStar

RStar

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:05 AM

Congratulations! Superb image!!

#6 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:14 AM

I love an image with a story!

• Ginge likes this

#7 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:47 AM

Beautiful image! Don't worry about the mice - you just gave them a shot at a higher level of being next go-round. wink.gif

Joe

• havasman likes this

#8 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

Superb effort!

Oh, He was right alright...

Oh darn. And thanks!!

G

Edited by Ginge, 23 October 2020 - 08:50 AM.

#9 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

Congratulations! Superb image!!

Thanks a bunch!!
G

#10 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

Beautiful image! Don't worry about the mice - you just gave them a shot at a higher level of being next go-round. wink.gif

Joe

I didn’t think of it that way... I actually did them a service! Cool, now maybe I can sleep at night. The one I had to go after with an axe has been haunting me.

G

Edited by Ginge, 23 October 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• B 26354 likes this

#11 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

Fantastic image of this faint, dusty region!  The colors in the smaller details are really bright and have excellent contrast. 

Like you, I have a hard time getting enough integration time on objects like this one due to poor weather.  I'm currently working on NGC 1579, a similar, dusty object, and I don't even have three hours on it this month.  The good news is that I only have to deal with some coyotes in my neighborhood, not WOLVES!

#12 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

The one I had to go after with an axe has been haunting me.

Wow!

It sounds like the mice you get around there are much larger than the ones around here :)

#13 alarmclock

alarmclock

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:10 PM

Beautiful Flickr, there is a lot of dedication in your observatory journey. Living the dream.

#14 TinySpeck

TinySpeck

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • Loc: Seattle area

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:42 PM

Just beautiful, Ginge!  I loved the backstory too.

A technical question for you: I've never done images with a large amount of dark dust in them like this.  How do you flatten (equalize) your background without flattening the dark parts?  In PixInsight you need to tell DynamicBackgroundEqualization which points of your image are the background so it can calculate a surface to subtract or divide from your original image.  How do you know which points of your image are actual background and which are just dark dust?  It looks like you've done a superb job here.

#15 R Botero

R Botero

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:45 AM

Great result Ginge! Your efforts over all those years paid off waytogo.gif Think of the mice as collaborators in this project that gave their lives for it to be completed! That shows commitment lol.gif

Roberto

#16 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:31 AM

Thank you all!!

Alas, the mice are normal size, some are even smaller than normal, I'd say. So going at one with an axe as it was the closest tool and time was of the essens, - was TOTALLY overkill and not a nice view that I can't seem to shake, hehe. I never knew I had it in me. An old conscientious objector and all. That aside, I see them now as collaborators, so thank you guys!!

A technical question for you: I've never done images with a large amount of dark dust in them like this.  How do you flatten (equalize) your background without flattening the dark parts?  In PixInsight you need to tell DynamicBackgroundEqualization which points of your image are the background so it can calculate a surface to subtract or divide from your original image.  How do you know which points of your image are actual background and which are just dark dust?  It looks like you've done a superb job here.

That is why I had to spend so many hours on this. I knew I was going to have to remove gradients and effects of thin clouds etc with DBE, so I needed a lot of data. In processing I took time making sure my flats were as good as they could be so I didn't have to worry about DBE-ing away vignetting but concentrate on the gradients and thin clouds. I didn't place that many DBE points, really. But the ones I placed was set in carefully selected positions. Luckily there are a lot of deep versions of this area online, so I used one of them to check that I was placing points in areas with as little nebulosity as possible, on what looked to be background. I DBE'ed the four integrated channels separately before combining them and with the same points, only with a couple of extra points in the Green channel which had more issues than the others. Did another pass with DBE after channel combination but nothing after combining RGB with L. I also tried integration using local normalisation where the referene frame was an integration of the best frames of the stack, but actually got the best result using only one subexposure as LocalNorm reference after adding some noise reduction in the LocalNormalisation process.

Clear skies,

Ginge

• TinySpeck likes this

#17 windowpane

windowpane

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:48 AM

Remarkable details of a fascinating object.  Thanks!

#18 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:18 PM

Thank you very much, Martin!

#19 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Soyuz

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:57 PM

Incredibly beautiful image.  A fitting swan song for your beloved QSI camera. If I had a camera go out me, I would wish for similar results.

#20 Christian-UAE

Christian-UAE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Abu Dhabi

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:30 AM

Beautiful image. Well done!!!

#21 Ginge

Ginge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:05 AM

Thanks Christian and Jeff!

Yes, the QSI583 was truly worth every penny.

BTW I just noticed the image I've posted is way too large and grossly exceeds the forum limit. I have to rescale, but I can only find an edit-button for my last post in the thread. Oh my. Am I getting that old? Help! :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics