•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO camera repair rate

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dhmiller

dhmiller

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

I just learned from a ZWO rep that they have no repair facilities in the US. Are there 3rd party service options in the States or does every camera go back to China (or do they never need servicing)?

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

I've owned three and never a blip (except for me using the wrong driver...ZWO drivers are outdated. Had to switch to ASCOM Camera 1). I'm sure defects are out there, but rare.

• dhmiller likes this

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

I have sent an ASI294MC Pro back to ZWO for repair and I have an ASI071MC Pro on its way back to ZWO for repair. It takes a bit to get them there, but once at ZWO they turn the around and get them sent back pretty quick. Overall they seem to be very reliable and their service is pretty good. I’m about to buy another ZWO, so I’m pretty happy with them.

• RossW and dhmiller like this

#4 dhmiller

dhmiller

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

Thanks much. What were the problems with the cameras? 

I have sent an ASI294MC Pro back to ZWO for repair and I have an ASI071MC Pro on its way back to ZWO for repair. It takes a bit to get them there, but once at ZWO they turn the around and get them sent back pretty quick. Overall they seem to be very reliable and their service is pretty good. I’m about to buy another ZWO, so I’m pretty happy with them.

#5 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

We must have at least 40 ZWO cameras in our club.  Mostly ASI1600 and ASI120s but a bunch of others.

I know of 6 that have needed to go back overseas for repair.  Of those 3 were due to user error (connecting DC backwards!).

The repairs were done quickly and at a very reasonable price.

As far as astro equipment goes I feel more confident buying one of these cameras than the OTA/mount lottery it seems to be at the lower end of the market.

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:02 PM

A couple of years back I looked into getting an upgraded version  of my existing ZWO camera (for a PCB firmware upgrade), and they indicated that I would have to ship it to China for the work to be done.

#7 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

The 294 developed a communication issue, the 071 has a temperature sensor issue. The 294 was quickly repaired and has been trouble free ever since. The 071 is in-transit to ZWO. 

#8 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:26 PM

I know of 6 that have needed to go back overseas for repair.  Of those 3 were due to user error (connecting DC backwards!).

This is real disturbing...!  Being an electrical engineer it would cost ~$0.50 to put a 4 amp diode in the circuit to prevent frying the electronics.

• Gregory, dmdouglass, nebulasaurus and 3 others like this

#9 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

If there is one constant in the Universe... it’s always something... :)

• Dynan likes this

#10 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:09 PM

This is real disturbing...!  Being an electrical engineer it would cost ~$0.50 to put a 4 amp diode in the circuit to prevent frying the electronics.

That is something I harp on all the time.  Mounts have the same problem. 

The other engineering practice that needs to be followed is -- if damage would result from plugging a plug into the wrong socket, use a different kind of plug!  Mounts commonly have many telephone-style modular jacks, and dire warnings not to mix up what plugs into them!

• Jim Waters, dmdouglass and Puppis like this

#11 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

I sent ZWO Support an e-mail late last year asking about this and I never got a reply.  

Some use RJ-45 jacks and bad things happen when you plug in an Ethernet cable.

#12 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:43 PM

"Mounts have the same problem."

Yep, this is a very common.... feature? Whenever I make my own power connector I check the polarity many, many (,many) times.

• mikefulb, Michael Covington and RossW like this

#13 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

I had to send my original ASI1600-MM-C back to ZWO/ASI in China - I dropped it (Doh!!).  The shipping cost $125 (during the height of the Spring pandemic and there was little freight to/from China). They were great to work with - they could not repair the original motherboard - so, they upgraded it to a Pro for $125.  I consider $250 in repairs worth it.  And, the transit was 1 week to China; 1 week for repairs and 5 days to get it back.  Pretty darn good considering that China was still in the middle of the pandemic.

• mikefulb, Jim Waters and Dynan like this

#14 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

If there is one constant in the Universe... it’s always something... smile.gif

Just ask Roseanne Rosannadana! Richard Feder couldn't exist without her...

https://www.youtube....h?v=9hYGtXIqDa0

#15 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

I had to send my original ASI1600-MM-C back to ZWO/ASI in China - I dropped it (Doh!!).  The shipping cost $125 (during the height of the Spring pandemic and there was little freight to/from China). They were great to work with - they could not repair the original motherboard - so, they upgraded it to a Pro for $125.  I consider $250 in repairs worth it.  And, the transit was 1 week to China; 1 week for repairs and 5 days to get it back.  Pretty darn good considering that China was still in the middle of the pandemic.

It may be worth it for a camera of that value. For some of the smaller/cheaper guider/planetary cameras, $125 shipping plus repair costs is probably going to make it uneconomical to ship to China.

• jmiller1001 likes this

#16 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:09 PM

I hope this is not what will have to happen with mine, but it's not the worst outcome. My fan stopped working (my 1600MM-C is 3 1/2 years old). I have ordered a replacement fan and ZWO gave me a link to how to replace the fan, so if that works, I'm golden, and if not... :(

#17 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:09 AM

I hope this is not what will have to happen with mine, but it's not the worst outcome. My fan stopped working (my 1600MM-C is 3 1/2 years old). I have ordered a replacement fan and ZWO gave me a link to how to replace the fan, so if that works, I'm golden, and if not... frown.gif

I mean you could probably source a new fan pretty easy, maybe of better quality. It of course needs to match voltage, dimensions, and cfm.

#18 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM

I hope this is not what will have to happen with mine, but it's not the worst outcome. My fan stopped working (my 1600MM-C is 3 1/2 years old). I have ordered a replacement fan and ZWO gave me a link to how to replace the fan, so if that works, I'm golden, and if not... frown.gif

I suspect it is the fan.  Fingers crossed Stelios!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics