•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco Model #124 - Info?

binoculars beginner equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grambot

Grambot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I just signed up after coming across this forum while googling for information on some binoculars I came across stashed away in my house. The discussion (linked below) turned up and there's a few member comments in there that made me think I should ask more about these binoculars...

https://www.cloudyni...124-circa-1968/

Stampings on the binoculars are:

(Left side)
Tesco Model 124
No 5761

(Right side)
7x50
578ft at 1000 yds
REG No. 7750

Any factoids I should read up about these? I'm a bit upset I didn't know these were hidden away when I was out checking Neowise this year.

Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/xKzEEZU

#2 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

Obscure tasco models #114,#122,#120 and #124 circa 1968

Review: 7x50 Miyauchi Binon vs. Fujinon FMT-SX vs. Tasco No. 124

Not much info beside those two pages and some other miniscule info here and there

#3 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:26 PM

According to some, the Tasco 124 is the best Japanese vintage wide field BAK4 7x50 ever made. 11° w-i-d-e field. Awesome waytogo.gif

#4 Grambot

Grambot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:29 PM

I guess the obvious followup questions then are about proper care for them. They've been hidden in my garage for who knows how long, but I *do* intend to use them. Are there recommended guides out there for proper care and maintenance? Products to avoid in particular?

the best Japanese vintage wide field BAK4 7x50 ever made

How narrow of a category is this? Is BAK4 good in its own right? Or fairly niche/poor? I'm a total noob here, my apologies for what might seem like dumb questions.

Edited by Grambot, 23 October 2020 - 01:31 PM.

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:01 PM

Care... don’t use them as a hammer, wipe greasy prints off the glass as required, don’t let them get too humid, should last just fine, as they have been in your closet. They’re one of the only wide angle 7x50, though the edges do get a bit fuzzy. Not “Featherweight”! I find the edges of the eye lenses dig into my nose. Another solid old Porro for those who don’t need to wear glasses.

Peter
  • Grambot likes this

#6 Knucklehead

Knucklehead

Explorer 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:19 AM

I guess the obvious followup questions then are about proper care for them. They've been hidden in my garage for who knows how long, but I *do* intend to use them. Are there recommended guides out there for proper care and maintenance? Products to avoid in particular?

How narrow of a category is this? Is BAK4 good in its own right? Or fairly niche/poor? I'm a total noob here, my apologies for what might seem like dumb questions.

There isn't much to take care of concerning binoculars. Just make sure you clean the glass properly, which means you don't wipe the glass off with your shirt. Keep them in a case when not in use to keep the dust off them. If you live in a humid climate you might want to use some sort of drying packets, store them in the case. BAK4 prisms are considered the standard for binoculars, and 11* FOV is just **** awesome!

If you hold the binoculars up against a bright area at arms length you will see that the exit pupil is perfectly round, the telltale mark of BAK4 prisms. BAK7 prisms will give you a somewhat square shaped exit pupil.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars, beginner, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics