•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PC Monitor in NexDome bay

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good monitor that fits on the shelves in the NexDome bay?

Preferably 4K, but actually just looking for a set of dimensions that works well (viewable from anywhere in the observatory while colimiting/focusing), while allowing for good keyboard/mouse workspace.

My typical Dell 2715's I use everywhere else obscures the entire bay opening.

#2 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM

How do you like your NexDome? I may be setting up a new observatory and that one looks quite interesting.  Have you automated the dome rotation?

#3 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

How do you like your NexDome? I may be setting up a new observatory and that one looks quite interesting.  Have you automated the dome rotation?

I just installed the walls, bays & dome so far, but I have all the autorotation & auto-shutter hardware. Will set that up today or over the weekend.

What I have so far works well - the rotation of the dome is surprisingly smooth. Shutter not so much - I probably still have some more work to do on it.

Instructions on the other hand... awful and out of date. There's a lot of parts that can be installed one of two ways, but only one way is correct, but you'll only find out which way is correct after installing some other parts. So be prepared for much despair and cussing during installation, but you'll get there. Overall took about 7 hours, 2 people. Oh, and he was short a critical 3.5" screw which I had to get from Amazon. He also sent 100s of spare small NB washers, which I don't need, and not a single spare large NB washer, which I dropped one under the deck and can't get to. I wish one-man operations like this would not try and ship hardware themselves and instead just point people to a shopping list on McMaster Carr.

But overall still worth it for the price and I'd recommend it.

Edited by deonb, 23 October 2020 - 03:03 PM.

• gundark and descott12 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics