•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Aculon A211 7X35 - Eye relief 11.8mm

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jazzsalsadrummer

jazzsalsadrummer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

Greetings CN, hope everyone is safe and healthy! I'm eyeing a Nikon 7X35 but somewhat concerned about its 11.8mm eye relief. I don't know if it's adequate for daytime viewing, scanning outdoors. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Stay safe. Best regards, Mario 

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:19 PM

No glasses, no problem.
  • jrbarnett, OneGear and jazzsalsadrummer like this

#3 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

Generally if you are wearing glasses while viewing though binos you will want around 15-20mm eye relief. 11.8mm is probably a bit low, so if you wear glasses they will probably have to be pushed right against the eyepieces to get the maximum fov.

• jazzsalsadrummer likes this

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

No glasses, no problem.

+1

No glasses, ER is almost irrelevant.

Best,

Jim

#5 jazzsalsadrummer

jazzsalsadrummer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:32 PM

TY Mark, Dean, Jim!

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:59 PM

During the day, 12 mm is OK... sort of. At night, the eye lens would fog up on me..

Jon

#7 jazzsalsadrummer

jazzsalsadrummer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

TY Jon!

#8 Knucklehead

Knucklehead

Explorer 1

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:08 PM

I have the 8x42 Aculons, eye relief is 12mm, the 7x35's list ER as 11.8, virtually no difference. I have no problem using them with my glasses on. It takes a couple of seconds to get things situated. Since I have astigmatism I can't really use bins without them. Whether you can use them with glasses on depends on the shape of your face and the style of your glasses. If you have a large nose up around the bridge area you may not be able to push your glasses up high enough to get into that 11mm ER zone. I prefer bins with better ER, around 15 and up is nice, but the model of bins you want may not have ER in the optimal zone.

#9 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

No big deal for daytime terrestrial use but a little more ER helps with astro use as I can tip the binos up a bit on my brows to gain a little altitude without making my neck do all the work.  That's the primary reason my Fuji 16x70 FMTs with their short ER are gone in favor of the MS ED with nearly double the ER.

Rich

#10 jazzsalsadrummer

jazzsalsadrummer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:20 PM

Thx to everyone for your guidance, much appreciated. I did purchase the Nikon Aculon A211 7X35 binos and love the WFV they offer. The 11.8mm eye relief is a non-issue. And based on the result of the 7X35/11.8mm ER, today I ordered the refurbished 10X42 and 10X50 Aculon A211 binos with a 20% off on the already discounted/refurbished price! Smoking deal. Thx again and stay healthy and safe! Kind regards,  Mario 

#11 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:53 PM

I wear glasses. Everytime I show people telescopes or binoculars, they feel they have to observe with their glasses on. But I say take them off like I do. To their surprise they like the idea because no one ever told them that. 

Both of my binoculars have about a 12mm eye relief. Never even thought about using glasses. Glass hitting glass doesn't sound fun to me.

Jim

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:58 AM

I wear glasses. Everytime I show people telescopes or binoculars, they feel they have to observe with their glasses on. But I say take them off like I do. To their surprise they like the idea because no one ever told them that. 

Both of my binoculars have about a 12mm eye relief. Never even thought about using glasses. Glass hitting glass doesn't sound fun to me.

Jim

Jim:

There are a couple of good reasons why people wear their glasses looking through binoculars:

If they have have significant astigmatism, the large exit pupils associated with binoculars really shows their astigmatism.  The second reason is that they may need so much correction that they cannot focus without their glasses.  And some people eyes are quite different so the diopter adjustment is not enough for both eyes to focus. 

Myself, I don't need to wear glasses at the eyepiece but I prefer binoculars with more than 12mm of eye relief as on cool nights, I find binos with short eye relief tend to fog much more quickly than binos with 16mm or more.

Jon

• JIMZ7 likes this

#13 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 01 November 2020 - 06:51 AM

Jim:

There are a couple of good reasons why people wear their glasses looking through binoculars:

If they have have significant astigmatism, the large exit pupils associated with binoculars really shows their astigmatism.  The second reason is that they may need so much correction that they cannot focus without their glasses.  And some people eyes are quite different so the diopter adjustment is not enough for both eyes to focus. 

Myself, I don't need to wear glasses at the eyepiece but I prefer binoculars with more than 12mm of eye relief as on cool nights, I find binos with short eye relief tend to fog much more quickly than binos with 16mm or more.

Jon

I can see what you are saying. In my actual experience since 1957 I haven't had anyone complain in observing without glasses. But I know it's not the norm.

Jim

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:17 AM

I can see what you are saying. In my actual experience since 1957 I haven't had anyone complain in observing without glasses. But I know it's not the norm.

Jim

Jim:

I have friends who cannot look through binoculars without wearing their glasses, either because of astigmatism or near sightedness. 

I never realized just how nearsighted some one can be until one night I was out in the front yard with my friend Bob just looking at the sky.  

Bob mentioned that he was wearing his reading glasses.  That didn't make sense, Bob is a smart guy.. Why wear reading glasses to star gaze.. 

The next day it dawned on me.  Bob's reading glasses are distance glasses, they're not quite as strong as his normal distance glasses but they are probably 6 diopters better than without them.. 

Jon

#15 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:19 AM

I have a theory that most people who don't complain about using binoculars without wearing their glasses only don't complain because they don't really know what it is they are missing by not doing so, especially when the eye - relief is so short as not to be really suitable for use with glasses worn.

There are others, including myself, who sometimes purposely choose not to wear glasses, in spite of the loss of image sharpness created by not doing so, either because wearing glasses with that particular model reduces the field of view to straw-like proportions, or simply because wearing glasses while looking through binoculars is generally just a pain in the xxxx, which for me personally takes away a lot of the simple pleasure and intimacy enjoyed for so many years before suffering from astigmatism.

Kenny

• Jon Isaacs, Rich V., Albie and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics