•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pacman

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neaptide

neaptide

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NY

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:04 PM

This image was processed with a combination of APP for integration and StarTools and Gimp for post-processing. I did not think APP was going to be any different then DSS but I am happy to say that my results are much better using APP for integration and Calibration. All the data was collected using the L-Enhance filter so I used the HA-OII color setting in APP.

CGX

AT72EDII/ .08x FF/FR

ASI533mc Pro

L-Enhance filter

Sharpcap3.2, PHD2, Stellarium Scope

97 X 240" Gain 120 -10c

25 Darks

25 Flats 

25 Bias

Pacman_HA-OII_OSC_For_StarTools processed GIMP.jpg

• elmiko, wrnchhead and Barlowbill like this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:17 PM

My very first experience with APP was so good that I spent a week reprocessing all my prior data that I thought was terrible and I discovered my use of DSS is what was terrible. (My use, not that DSS is terrible, don’t come for me)
  • JOEC. and neaptide like this

#3 neaptide

neaptide

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

My very first experience with APP was so good that I spent a week reprocessing all my prior data that I thought was terrible and I discovered my use of DSS is what was terrible. (My use, not that DSS is terrible, don’t come for me)

I re-processed some M31 data and was very surprised at the improvement. I’m on a trial period with APP now but I will definitely be buying the full license. I hope they add some more post processing features in the future. 

• wrnchhead likes this

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:24 AM

Nice image John! I like the color! Very different from most.

• neaptide likes this

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

nice image , i love the dust lane , thanks .

• neaptide likes this

#6 neaptide

neaptide

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

Nice image John! I like the color! Very different from most.

Thanks Mike. I was just messing around with the color and I kinda liked it this way. I have to figure out how to separate the channels in APP then maybe I can do HOO processing. 

• elmiko likes this

#7 neaptide

neaptide

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:40 PM

nice image , i love the dust lane , thanks .

Thank you Sunnyday!!

Edited by neaptide, 24 October 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#8 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Mike. I was just messing around with the color and I kinda liked it this way. I have to figure out how to separate the channels in APP then maybe I can do HOO processing.

I usually split a color photo in a separate program and I haven’t used GIMP that many times but surely you can split the color channels there right? Save as fits and back to APP if you wanted
  • neaptide likes this

#9 neaptide

neaptide

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

I usually split a color photo in a separate program and I haven’t used GIMP that many times but surely you can split the color channels there right? Save as fits and back to APP if you wanted

I spent a little time on YouTube today and there is a work flow to do it in APP. You extract HA and OII separately during integration then combine the channels. Ha for red OII for blue and green. I’ll check it out and see how it works. 

• elmiko likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics