•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weight Capacity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dum-dum

dum-dum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:26 PM

Probably been answered, but I can’t find it...

I’ve been so confused by mount weight capacities.

If I look at the CGEM II, it has a weight capacity of 40lbs. But then Celestron sells a package with that mount and the 11” EdgeHD. The OTA is 28lbs, and then there’s 2x17lb weight. That’s a lot more than 40lbs.

So, for astrophotography, how much can I put on this mount? If 50% is the rule, if I have 22.5lbs if gear, is that too much for this mount? Because if I have to put counterweights on, I’d be at least 45lbs.

So confused...

Thanks.

#2 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:33 PM

The 50% rule is good for most mass market mounts. This is not counting the counterweights. The CGEM plus edge 11 is mostly only good for planetary imaging or visual, but would not be a good choice for deep sky imaging.

#3 dum-dum

dum-dum

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:44 PM

So, does that mean this is a good mount for 22.5lbs of gear, not including weights? So if I add 22.5lbs of counterweights, that’s 45lbs total. That’s fine?

Thank you for helping.

Edited by dum-dum, 23 October 2020 - 08:50 PM.

#4 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

I believe all the weight capacities for various mounts are the gear capacity. Weight amounts are not counted. 

So 40 lb capacity is 40 lbs of telescope and related gear. 

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

Counterweights do NOT count as part of the weight capacity. 

Recommend you do *not* get the CGEM II for astrophotography. It's a great visual/planetary AP mount, but for DSO imaging they are not very consistent. 

The "50% rule" means that below 50% of capacity tracking will not improve, but at 50% and up it will likely start to progressively deteriorate. That "likely" and the extent of deterioration, depends on several factors, but primarily the quality of your particular copy (mass-production mounts are not all alike, unfortunately, when it comes to the tolerances required for good tracking) *and* your skills in getting the mount ready (Polar alignment, level, balance, cord management) and guiding (parameters, seeing evaluation, etc, etc.).

The 50% number was selected for convenience. Nobody has examined to see if it should be 47% or 58% :)

Assuming you get a "good" CGEM II, and that you are knowledgeable about how to guide it, 22 or 28 lbs should not present any problem. 

#6 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:14 PM

Yep!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics