•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone have experience with the Pegasus Flatmaster 250?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ryanha

ryanha

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:48 PM

I am looking at this:  https://pegasusastro...flatmaster-250/

I have heard that EL panels tend to have really long NB exposures for flats (vs LED panels), but this unit has a brightness boost when plugged into USB 3.0 or fastcharge USB ports.

I had someone tell me that with a different EL flatpanel his NB exposures for flats were 45 sec for Ha and 77 sec for Sii which seems pretty long so hoping the brightness boost makes this faster.

Anyone have experience with this and can comment?

I also want to use this with NINA's flat wizard. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks,

--Ryan

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:04 PM

I am looking at this:  https://pegasusastro...flatmaster-250/

I have heard that EL panels tend to have really long NB exposures for flats (vs LED panels), but this unit has a brightness boost when plugged into USB 3.0 or fastcharge USB ports.

I had someone tell me that with a different EL flatpanel his NB exposures for flats were 45 sec for Ha and 77 sec for Sii which seems pretty long so hoping the brightness boost makes this faster.

Hi Ryan-

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just get a LED panel?  I've been using one I purchased 2 years ago now for $60 and it has worked quite well.  I taped Neutral Density 0.5 filter sheet over the LED and I get about 1-2s for LRGB and about 5-9s for SHO.

My apologies for not answering your question specifically, but I am curious why considering the significant price difference it would be.

I use NINA's flat wizard with my setup as well.  It works extremely well.

CS, Ara

#3 ryanha

ryanha

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:06 PM

Hi Ryan-

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just get a LED panel?  I've been using one I purchased 2 years ago now for $60 and it has worked quite well.  I taped Neutral Density 0.5 filter sheet over the LED and I get about 1-2s for LRGB and about 5-9s for SHO.

My apologies for not answering your question specifically, but I am curious why considering the significant price difference it would be.

I use NINA's flat wizard with my setup as well.  It works extremely well.

CS, Ara

I guess my thinking is that if I get something purpose-built then whomever sells it to me will stand behind it for its use case. 

Plus I like supporting businesses that do sciency-things (like astronomy).

Lastly I like the idea of NINA automating the brightness setting changes.  I am a software engineer and it just has intrinsic appeal to me.

But I hear you, I do go back and forth on whether I should just do something more DIY like an LED panel (which at least is less DIY than borrowing my wife's white tshirts right before dusk :) )

Thanks,

--Ryan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics