•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MARS - QHYCCD 178M vs ZWOASI 174M

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cyberblitz

cyberblitz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

Which is better? The QHYCCD 178M or the ZWOASI 174M..

The images are captures I took from my backyard in Brisbane. They are taken with a Skywatcher 10” Newtonian on a NEQ6 Pro mount. I used both the QHYCCD 178M and ZWOASI 174M cameras on the same night. On the QHY camera I used a 2x Barlow and on the ZWO camera I used a 5x Tele Vue Powermate. I used ZWO RGB and an Astronomik ProPlanet 642 BP IR-pass filters with each camera. I took 90 seconds of capture for each filter and took 6 sets of RGB-IR.

I processed the captures using Autostakkart3!, Registax, WinJupos, Photoshop and Topaz Denoise

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-10-16_Combine.jpg

Edited by cyberblitz, 24 October 2020 - 12:19 AM.

• Magellanico, Thomas Marshall, jeremiah2229 and 1 other like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:34 AM

...not sure what using different image scales with exactly the same camera (sensor) an hour apart & displayed at different image scales says David, but I guess you wanted to do the exercise! :)

#3 cyberblitz

cyberblitz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:57 AM

...not sure what using different image scales with exactly the same camera (sensor) an hour apart & displayed at different image scales says David, but I guess you wanted to do the exercise! smile.gif

Hey,

They are different sensors. The ZWOASI 174M has a pixel size of 5.8microns, the QHYCCD 178M has a pixel size of 2.4microns

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:36 AM

...oops, might need to check my eyesight..! :lol:

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

Interesting exercise (I do similar from time to time, when the seeing is stable for an extended period), but even with the intent of achieving similar resolutions, the 174 disk is significantly smaller than the 178.

And what's going on with the color on the 178?  The SPC is a vivid cyan and the overall Martian tones are just "off" - a bit muddied.

Where did you introduce the IR into the combination?  In place of what primary color?

#6 cyberblitz

cyberblitz

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

Interesting exercise (I do similar from time to time, when the seeing is stable for an extended period), but even with the intent of achieving similar resolutions, the 174 disk is significantly smaller than the 178.

And what's going on with the color on the 178?  The SPC is a vivid cyan and the overall Martian tones are just "off" - a bit muddied.

Where did you introduce the IR into the combination?  In place of what primary color?

I don't know what's going on with the colors on the 178, it's most likely my terrible post-processing, which I'm still trying to find my niche

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics