•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any tips on reducing vibrations?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: cape coral florida

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:47 AM

I own the 130 slt and it’s pretty good but suffers from reverberating vibrations even when gently walking near the tripod. I know there are vibration pads and will soon place my order on a set but are there ways to improve my setup? Such as the dovetail clamp etc. ? Do they even sell upgrades for this Scope? I know I shouldn’t sink money into this telescope since it’s really a beginners telescope but I need to work with what I have for now. I’m mainly in the solar system so lunar, planets, black holes and such lol.gif  no but really I’m looking for ideas to minimize these vibrations even jerry rigging is welcome. Thanks for your advice & ideas. 

Chris

Edited by humma kavula, 24 October 2020 - 01:50 AM.

#2 peta62

peta62

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:06 AM

It is strange the scope is affected by walking around, it sounds like not very steady ground. Of course I would extend the tripod legs as little as possible. You may go for stronger/wooden legs if you find some. Check everything is properly tighten in the mount. But generally there is not much you can do with such setup.

#3 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:15 AM

Are you setting up on a deck or raised platform?  On a balcony?  If so, you need to set up on the ground.  Do not extend the tripod legs.  

Edited by Napp, 24 October 2020 - 02:16 AM.

#4 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:42 AM

I usually have it set up on my driveway it’s concre. It shakes for about 5-10 seconds at worst. I can live with it but I’m sure there are ideas such as wooden tripod. Yes it’s all nice and snug together. I know it’s my tripod that causes those vibrations. I’m going to start with the vibration pads and possibly a 10 pound sandbag? But thanks for your advice anything is helpful. 

#5 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:57 AM

You may want to try a tripod sling or stone bag

https://www.amazon.c...603525989&sr=8-

Is just one example.

As I understand it, not only allow you to increase the mass, but also tie the legs together.

As to the solidity of concrete, it varies. On the rare occasions I set up my GPS 11:00 in front of my house on the sidewalk, if I have one foot on the same sidewalk slab, the telescope visually vibrates at high power in time with my heartbeat. I can only assume it's being transmitted from my leg into the slab and then into the telescope.

I don't see this when I'm able to set up on dirt or grass. Which I prefer, anyway, any rare event that I drop something. Concrete is unforgiving.

#6 ziggeman

ziggeman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:29 AM

I own the 130 slt and it’s pretty good but suffers from reverberating vibrations even when gently walking near the tripod. I know there are vibration pads and will soon place my order on a set but are there ways to improve my setup? Such as the dovetail clamp etc. ? Do they even sell upgrades for this Scope? I know I shouldn’t sink money into this telescope since it’s really a beginners telescope but I need to work with what I have for now. I’m mainly in the solar system so lunar, planets, black holes and such lol.gif  no but really I’m looking for ideas to minimize these vibrations even jerry rigging is welcome. Thanks for your advice & ideas. 

Chris

Vibration damping with rubber perhaps? One under each leg.

https://www.aliexpre...earchweb201603_

smile.gif

#7 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:30 AM

Does the scope vibrate that long (5-10 seconds) when you focus or bump the eyepiece when it is not on the driveway?   If it's really vibrating for that long, on its own, you might want talk to your dealer or Celestron.  

On a side note, its one thing for a side walk to move during foot traffic, its another for a driveway to do so.  If your driveway is not all cracked up and shifted, it sounds like it might be undermined.   You might want to consult someone about that.    

jd

#8 lainev

lainev

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

I use furnace anti vibration pads (LBG Products Rubber Anti-Vibration Isolator Pads,Heavy Duty Blue EVA Pad for Air Conditioner,Compressors,HVAC,Treadmills etc). When I did not have an electronic focuser I put a zip strip on the focus knob and used it to turn the knob. It provided isolation and reduced the source of vibration.

#9 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:24 AM

yes when i focus on an object it vibrates for 5-10 seconds then stops completely (unless theres a gust of wind) however, i need to walk carely when im near the tripod but that (foot steps) disturbance only lasts for a couple of seconds. its not broken lol these budget scopes dont have the best tripods im assuming. my 8se (i used to own) had a much beefier tripod. im guessing i should start with weighing the tripod down some more along with anti vibration pads. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics