•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommended gain settings for ASI 183MC Pro with ASIAir Pro

astrophotography imaging CMOS equipment dso observing beginner
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ben_leather

ben_leather

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

Hi there,

I'm currently imaging with an ZWO ASI 183MC Pro and RedCat51 in a Bortle Class 8 area (with an L-Enhance filter) and I was wondering about my gain settings when using this setup with an ASIAir Pro.  I've started to image with a Gain of 111 (on the ASIAir Pro) with exposures of 3-5 minutes and a low cooling temperature of -20ºC but I still see some noise and have trouble stacking with the amp glow not completely calibrated out with DSS.  

I was wondering what settings other people have been using and whether I am actually using too high a gain for my setup.   Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ben_leather, 24 October 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#2 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

I use Gain 111, and many others do as well. I don't think any combination of camera settings will give you images with no noise. The solution is more exposure time and noise reduction in post processing. 

Amp glow in the 183 should be completely removed by stacking with calibration frames. Make sure your calibration frames are taken at the same settings as your lights, and with the same filter in place. 

#3 Cyborg84

Cyborg84

Lift Off

• Loc: Andover, MN (55304)

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

I second the comment on the amp glow.  It will be completely eliminated with a good set of darks.

I have noticed that I do get some variation in my darks (with the 183MM). 

Take a look at statistics (mean, std_dev, sensor temp) of the darks to confirm that they are consistent - just a couple frames that are off will impact all of your calibrated images.

Im not sure if it is uneven initial cooling, or what the source of it is, but I have observed that there are sometimes some outliers that should not be used. 

Before I did this I would see some of the amp glow in the calibrated images, but now it is completely gone.

#4 stream41

stream41

Explorer 1

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:28 PM

I use an ASIAir Pro with the same camera and scope, and I noticed a lot of noise at gain 111 too. I did some basic experimenting and found gain 54 to be a good compromise between noise and exposure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, CMOS, equipment, dso, observing, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics