•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

are Afuna and Kanto binoculars the same

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lit

lit

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

l wonder if there they same ,,or if one is better

#2 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:46 PM

Shouldn't be. Kanto is J-B52 and Ofuna is J-B63. I also have quite a collection of Kanto (or Glanz/Kanto) binoculars. But both Kanto and Ofuna binoculars are often found with the Tower brand name on them. So that is probably where you have seen the two names collide.

• cookjaiii and lit like this

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:04 PM

I've only had a couple of each so my sample data is pretty thin- the winner is ofuna - while they had average to good optics (2- 7x35 10 deg), they also had far superior mechanicals- the focusers were  wayyy better than the Kanto's (8x40 wide angle). They both had  such great focuser slop that the simple act of racking the focus in/out, then coming back to focus would have one side or the other way off focus. Most of that was cured with some aluminum tape to take up the loose tolerances of the  focuser . regards,Pat

• lit likes this

#4 lit

lit

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

Shouldn't be. Kanto is J-B52 and Ofuna is J-B63. I also have quite a collection of Kanto (or Glanz/Kanto) binoculars. But both Kanto and Ofuna binoculars are often found with the Tower brand name on them. So that is probably where you have seen the two names collide.

thanks

l been reading on the tower binoculars lately

#5 lit

lit

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

I've only had a couple of each so my sample data is pretty thin- the winner is ofuna - while they had average to good optics (2- 7x35 10 deg), they also had far superior mechanicals- the focusers were  wayyy better than the Kanto's (8x40 wide angle). They both had  such great focuser slop that the simple act of racking the focus in/out, then coming back to focus would have one side or the other way off focus. Most of that was cured with some aluminum tape to take up the loose tolerances of the  focuser . regards,Pat

thanks

#6 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

FWIW... That "Kanto" 8x40 wide angle (as well as the matching 7x35 and 10x50) is actually J-B191. The whole series look alike, but I have only found the J-B191 on two samples. And I agree that they are mediocre at best. I own a few Glanz/Kanto J-B52 wide angles that absolutely knock my socks off. But Ofuna binoculars are still extremely well made and worth collecting IMO.

• lit likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics