•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with info on 1931 USN 10x40 bent shoulders binoculars

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

I'm seeking help with any information on these 1931 USN Bureau of Ordnance NGF (Naval Gun Factory) 10x40 Mk XII No. 4 binoculars. The Mark XIIs on Peter Abrahams' 1996 Bureau of Navy BUSHIPS binocular list are 10x45s. This pair is marked Bureau of Ordnance so that might be why it doesn't show up on the BUSHIPS binocular list.

That's all I have so far. I can't seem to find another image or reference, though my internet search skills are not the best.

I'm wondering what might be their story. Are there other USN bent shoulders out there? Were they built at NGF in collaboration with another company? Are 10x40 bent shoulders part of any known binocular lineage?

Thanks in advance for your interest and help.

~ Foss

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4647.JPG
  • IMG_4648.JPG
  • IMG_4649.JPG
  • IMG_4650.JPG

• ShaulaB likes this

#2 Pinewood

Pinewood

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hello Foss,

I am  clueless.  It may have been a very limited edition, perhaps a concept binocular.  Peter's information Bureau of Aeronautics glasses and  was not limited to BuShips.   Does it have a serial number?

Stay safe,

Arthur

#3 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:24 PM

Hey Arthur,

No serial number but I was alerted to a fleeting reference at the very bottom of page 339 in Seeger's gray book.

You stay safe and healthy too!

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics