•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SV105 now while I save up, or should I just be patient while I save u for SV305 or zwo asi120mc?

astrophotography beginner imaging
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City Metro

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:12 PM

Sorry, still getting used to everything here, Currently trying to delete this to move to the astrophotography forum.

Edited by Brelic, 24 October 2020 - 02:23 PM.

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:15 PM

Maybe posting this in a Beginning Imaging forum might get you more and better results. Look at the statement after "Beginners Forum." Thanks for reading.

#3 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 02:17 PM

Ok thank you I will move this. Sorry about that.

#4 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:13 PM

Ok thank you I will move this. Sorry about that.

Hi Brelic,

I bought the SV105 first then soon after the SV305 (non pro).

I did not really like the SV105 - great on the moon and a little success on Jupiter but that was about it. It was not at all useful for even the brightest DSO.

The SV305 is much more capable as it not only has much better exposure range (bub milliseconds to a few thousand seconds) bit it also has Region Of Interest (ROI) which allows you much higher frame rates - very important when doing AP. I have done some great Jupiter, Saturn and Mars and a "reasonable" M104 Sombrero galaxy.

Anyway my advice is if you want to get started go for the SV105 but be prepared to go up to SV305 or other. If no rush save a bit more and get the SV305. The SVBony is about half the price of its comparable ASI290 which is based on the same imaging chip but does perform better frame rates due USB3.

There is a really good thread on the SV305 here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/694494-svbony-sv305-thread/

Edit *******

And from your first post in the other forum:

• Do you think it would be a good idea to get the SV105 now or wait a bit longer to get either a SV305 or zwo asi120mc?
• Are these two cameras much better than the SV105 for planetary imagining? Would any of these cameras be able to pick up DSO's even faintly?
• Out of the SV305 and the ASI120mc which do you think is the better camera overall?
• With the ASI120mc is the monochrome or the color option better? The monochrome appears to be more expensive but I've heard it has better detail. I know if I did monochrome I would need to get

I believe the Sony IMX 290 used in the SV305 and ASI290 (MC) is superior to the one in the ASI120 (Quantum Efficiency 75% for 120 vs closer to 80% for other two)

The max resolution of the ASI120 is lower than the other two.

The max FPS of the ASI120 is better than the SV305 but not the ASI290.

And if you ever get into guiding then the SV305 does not have the ST4 but the SV305 pro does. But based on discussions I have had on other forums its not needed - there is another way.

I think I have answered the DSO thing (SV105 no, others yes to a degree). To do serious DSO you really need a cooled camera with larger pixel size.

Again to do serious DSO its best to have a mono camera with the RGB filters. But you are taking 3x the captures and more effort in stacking. I still have some success with the SV305 and I imaging the ASI290 would also do DSO to a point.

End Edit *******

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 24 October 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#5 spereira

spereira

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:56 PM

Moving to Beginning DSO Imaging.

smp

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

Does the OP intend to use this camera primarily for Deep Sky Imaging or planetary imaging? 

#7 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

philinbris thank you for your response that was very informative! I will check out the link about the camera more but from what I saw it does look like a good camera. For now I think I will hold off on the SV105 since it sounds like it doesn't get me much based on your response so thank you for saving me some money on that. 

Thank you again for your help!

#8 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

alphatripleplus sorry for the delay in my response, I was hoping for mostly planetary imaging but I wanted to at least do a little DSO if I can get it to show up some in the camera. 

#9 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

spereira, thank you for moving it to a different section, sorry for posting in the wrong spot to start with. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics