•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Backyard... Do I have enough Open Sky to Warrant an Observatory?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 string

string

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Deep South

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:35 PM

You have much better horizons than I do at my Bortle 6 location and I consider my observatory to have been well worth having for nearly 20 years. Tall piers aren't rocket science, either. They just require a little thought. Mine (constructed from 18"X24"chimney block with a sand-filled core) is quite stable with the mount at about 12 feet above its base. Holds the AP-1200 and a 100+ pound payload (plus counterweights) with no stability issues. My biggest issue (apart from the light pollution) is the twenty years of growth of the neighbor's trees in three directions. Those weren't such an issue when I built it!  wink.gif

20 years at 12 feet high... that's just music to my ears. I need to study every possible resource about building such a pier. I have a whole house to remodel and if I'm ever going to do such a thing, the time is now. I have already built a separate full recording studio that is all floating on rubber with two buildings built inside the third. Confidently soundproofed when a jet flies over. I know about difficult builds, at least in music recording.

Here's a Satellite view with a non-artist's  interpretation of where the observatory would be. The trees in red are history. At least they are mine to deal with and not my neighbors. Thanks for the encouragement to attempt this sobering task at hand. Note I also have two 12' aluminum satellite dishes 100 feet apart. I was going to take them down but someone said I would have a 100' interferometer  and I should keep them. Heck I don't know anything about astronomy as it is... radio astronomy is a complete mystery. What does everyone think of the location of the second story dome considering the consequences.

Attached Thumbnails

• gables_observatory_SAT_crop.jpg

Edited by string, 13 November 2020 - 11:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics