•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finished upgrading the observatory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western KY

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:40 PM

I've posted a few images of my observatory when I finished it back in 2017.  Since then, I have moved from the 24" Starmaster, which was the reason for building observatory #2, back to German EQ mounts.

Since the observatory is 16'x16', I have enough room to comfortably house two nice scopes.

There are two piers with early Astro-Physics 1200 mounts on them.  Both piers are 8" square by 1/4" thick walls.  

The pier packing the newtonian extends through the floor, into the ground about 36", and is in about 2000# of concrete.  

The refractor pier is anchored to the original concrete floor of observatory #1 via a 24" X 24" x 1/2" steel plate and stainless steel anchors.  I filled this pier with very coarse sand to help dampen vibrations.

As seen in the images, the piers are isolated from the floor. 

What I really like is the fact that there are no ladders for the newtonian.  And after standing on concrete all day, I can come home, hit the button for the motor to roll the roof off, and I can sit in my comfy chair to observe through the refractor. 

Just to give those who are contemplating building a roll off something to consider, when I built #2, I built a kick out so the desk is out of the observing area.  Also, it helps keep dew off of the charts and such.

If you are wondering as to what the scopes are; the newtonian started out as a 12.5" f/6 Meade Research Grade OTA.  I cut the tube down and installed a Pegasus Optics 12.5" f/4.9 with a Strehl ratio of 0.995 and a Antares 3.1" 1/30 wave diagonal for imaging.  It has a Starlight Feathertouch and a Takahashi 11x70 finder as well.  The scope is a joy to use and produces wonderful images.

The refractor is a late 1990's Meade ED/APO with a 2.5" Moonlite focuser.  It has the later lens cell design, along with a really nice lens.

The mount under the newtonian is a 1200 DA.  Under the refractor is a 1200 QMD.  Both have digital setting circles. 

With the upgrades I completed over the summer, into early fall, I really enjoy going down and using it more often.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8682.jpg
  • IMG_8687.jpg
  • IMG_8689.jpg
  • IMG_8690.jpg
  • IMG_8694.jpg

• siriusandthepup, Scott Mitchell, Jim Waters and 14 others like this

#2 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western KY

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:44 PM

And having nice tunes while observing or just tinkering is a must.
The stereo and CD player is a Goodwill find.  The Bose 201's were a nice ebay find.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8692-1.jpg

• Jim Waters, CCD-Freak, petert913 and 3 others like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:48 PM

Amazing !  I am very envious :)

• The Planetman likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:49 PM

That looks very comfortable... one more reason to go observatory!    Tom

• The Planetman likes this

#5 JimV

JimV

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

I have a John Hall 17.5" f/4.4 mirror.  1/19 wave.

It's great.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics