•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars with SCT 9.25 and ZWO ASI533MC - 10/24/2020

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CapnRon

CapnRon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

The sky was clearer and it was less windy then it has been for the past week (here in Eastern NC).  I have a pre-edge SCT9.25, CGEM mount, 2x Barlow with a new ZWO ASI533MC camera.  I roll the mount/scope out on my driveway; it stays assembled in an unheated garage, so it should be temperature stable.  The 533 worked fine with ASIStudio Planetary capture collecting SER video's.  I manually focus, by hand, so I took multiple videos at settings that looked best to me on screen.  I use PIPP to convert SER to AVI with centering and cropping, Registax for align/stacking (this image is without drizzle and a little over 1000 frames) add wavelets (just run them up to 100% see what looks good) and then use Photoshop to 'adjust' the final result.

The attached image is from the last video taken around 10:30 pm.  It looks to have the most detail of any Mars image I have taken.  Is there a way to compare my image to what you should be seeing from my location and time using a Mars on-line map?

I have other videos to process, but I suspect this one will be the best of the crop.

Thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• Full2020-10-25-0223_2-Mars_pipregps_nodrizel.jpg

• Magellanico, Pete Gorczynski, Paul Morow and 6 others like this

#2 frankdr

frankdr

Sputnik

• Loc: Denton, Texas

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

I've used Stallarium to see what the current view of Mars is - to compare against my images. You keep zooming in on it and you'll eventually see the current visible features. You can also go forward or backward in time as well.

Great image BTW..

Edited by frankdr, 25 October 2020 - 12:23 PM.

#3 CapnRon

CapnRon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

Thanks,

I just realized that myself.  I was considering StarryNights, but then saw that Stellarium has that same feature.  Now I just need to rotate it and compare it to a map of Mars to name what I am seeing.

thanks again.

#4 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

Nice image Ron. You can also use SkySafari. Select the planet and then touch ‘Centre’ and then enlarge it right up. It is very useful for Mars and Jupiter especially.
Cheers Paul

#5 DarkMain

DarkMain

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

Is there a way to compare my image to what you should be seeing from my location and time using a Mars on-line map?

Stellarium (The stand alone version or the Online Web app) should do it.

The Ephemerides tool in WinJUPOS will do it as well (Keep in mind it uses Universal Time).

You could also try this website - https://secure18.pro...l/BAA/mars.html
(It also works uses UT).

And lastly, if you want to try comparing your images to other real images (rather than simulations) taken by other observers then you can checkout this site: http://pvol2.ehu.eus/pvol2/search/form

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics