•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gskyer AZ80400 - anyone have any experience with these?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

In my never ending quest to have more telescopes than cats (of the mammal variety, not the SCT variety), I found an auction site that has a handful of these for sale:

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00XQLV11M

Now, I know this is no Esprit 80mm ED, but as I always tell people "$20 for a scope without broken glass is always a bargain - even if you just give it to someone else to let them enjoy looking up at night."  However, I know nothing about these scopes other than the obvious and what reviews people left on Amazon.  Plus, in this case, if I do get it for $20, it's going to cost me closer to $60 after buyer's premium and shipping.

Has anyone here had any experience with this scope?  I'm assuming they're typical Tasco type scopes, but this is also the second round they've had them online and no one bought them the first time.  So maybe I can pick up a few for under $10 each.  In which case, they become the perfect "give to kids" scope, in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails

• 810muDqkzyL._SX600_.jpg

• aeajr likes this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

Those have to be the widest eyepieces I've ever seen.  If the one is 8.66 in, think how big the aperture on the scope must be!

• erin likes this

#3 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

Let's assume it's a translation error and that's it's mm.

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

My understanding is that these are good packages, with cast aluminum focusers (unless they've changed, recently), aluminum alt-az mount, aluminum rings, and steel tripod legs (albeit not very wide tubing at ~1.25 inches).  Muti-coated Plossls and a 6x30(? I think) finder.  I'm not sure of the tripod leg brackets/hinges - they  may be ABS, but maybe not.  The mount is deemed solid and sturdy, so it's likely they are aluminum.  Eyepieces are threaded for standard filters and are likely comparable to Plossls from Celestron, Meade, Svbony, et.al.

If your ultimate cost is anything less than $100 (for a new, complete, package as shown in photo), I'd say it's a jaw-dropping screamer of a deal.  Even at $200, it appears to be an excellent package (assuming modest and realistic expectations, of course).

Best wishes.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 25 October 2020 - 12:55 PM.

• LDW47 likes this

#5 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

Yes it is a good scope and a great deal at that price

Hopefully CN member AEAJR will see this thread and respond.  He has one and has a detailed posted review on Amazon 

#6 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:36 PM

I'm not 100% sure because I don't own, nor have I seen, one but to me it looks like another iteration of the venerable ST80.

Edited by starstruck85, 25 October 2020 - 01:38 PM.

#7 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

In my never ending quest to have more telescopes than cats (of the mammal variety, not the SCT variety), I found an auction site that has a handful of these for sale:

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00XQLV11M

Now, I know this is no Esprit 80mm ED, but as I always tell people "$20 for a scope without broken glass is always a bargain - even if you just give it to someone else to let them enjoy looking up at night."  However, I know nothing about these scopes other than the obvious and what reviews people left on Amazon.  Plus, in this case, if I do get it for $20, it's going to cost me closer to $60 after buyer's premium and shipping.

Has anyone here had any experience with this scope?  I'm assuming they're typical Tasco type scopes, but this is also the second round they've had them online and no one bought them the first time.  So maybe I can pick up a few for under $10 each.  In which case, they become the perfect "give to kids" scope, in my opinion.

I own that scope.  Not one I would recommend at the usual price of around $180, but if you can get it for $20, grab it.  Great kids first scope.  

• I like the mount, easy to use and very stable.
  • The optical tube is so-so.  The first one I received was seriously out of collimation. 
    Second one was OK.
  • No real instructions so you need to know what you are doing.
  • When I got mine the website didn't work, so no support there.  Don't know about now. 
  • Lots of chromatic aberration, but that is to be expected on an F5 Achromatic Refractor.
  • Eyepieces are OK Kellners with no eye cups but I have better so I gave them away.
  • Barlow was poorly suited to the scope, ut it worked.  Gave it away.
  • The 45 degree correct image diagonal is OK for daytime but very poor for astronomy due to the 45 degree angle.  I replaced it with a 90 degree diagonal for $15.

I have better scopes so this only gets rare use.  I bring it to outreach events and find a motivated teen to take it over for the evening.  Or I use it as a loaner scope for someone who has nothing and let them have some fun with it.

For $20 it is a bargain!

Edited by aeajr, 25 October 2020 - 02:31 PM.

• AstroPotamus likes this

#8 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:55 AM

There are 7 up for sale as separate lots on this auction.  Given that I have better scopes than this one as well, I doubt I'd use it (except maybe while camping, and even then, I'd likely bring my 4SE).  So I was thinking outreach and/or gifts.  Thanks for the feedback and I'll let you all know how it goes in 13 days and 3 hours.  :-)

• aeajr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics