•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Q: Portaball battery charger - just plug it in?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjgillen

mjgillen

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Solana Beach, CA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

Hey guys and fellow Portaball owners! My (older) aluminum Portaball came with a charger. Do I just plug it into the RCA jack labelled "EXT 12V"? Anyone have experience (good or bad) with this charger? Anything I should look for as far as it working correctly?

Clear Skies,

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2202 copy.JPG
  • IMG_2189 copy.JPG

Edited by mjgillen, 25 October 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#2 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

Hey guys and fellow Portaball owners! My (older) aluminum Portaball came with a charger. Do I just plug it into the RCA jack labelled "EXT 12V"? Anyone have experience (good or bad) with this charger? Anything I should look for as far as it working correctly?

Clear Skies,

Michael

Yes just plug it in.  It worked fine to charge the battery.  Only issue was the battery would go dead and not charge so I had to replace it with a new battery and then it worked fine.

#3 John Harrington

John Harrington

Author - "Shallow Sky"

• Vendors
  • Loc: New England

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

Michael,

Early Portaballs sometimes had finicky electronics.  Be aware that there may be a fuse (0.5 amp?) located in the cable plug that connects to the 12V charger.  If you don't find the battery charging after you connect the charger, you could try checking for a blown fuse.  Of course, as Jae points out, if the battery is old it may simply be dead.

I had substantial electrical issues with my (otherwise wonderful) Portaball 10, but David Jukem of Mag1 kindly replaced the electronics (and mirror cell) for a very reasonable price.  The 'scope has been as reliable as a hammer since them.

Clear skies,

John 

• Bill Jensen likes this

#4 mjgillen

mjgillen

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Solana Beach, CA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:35 PM

If you don't find the battery charging after you connect the charger, you could try checking for a blown fuse.

How do you tell if the battery is charging?

The battery is new and holds a charge well. I charged it up with my Optimate-6 I just wanted to use the built-in wiring if I could if it works just trying to determine how to know if its working or not based upon user experience. I can always hook up a DMM and see whats what just wanted y'alls input first.

Michael 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics