•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Joker's Smile - IDAS LPS D2 vs Optolong l-eNhance

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:20 PM

WHY. SO. SERIOUS??? I have another comparison for you using the Eastern Veil Nebula. Or what I like to call, Joker's Smile. This time, it is between the Optolong l-eNhance, and my go-to light pollution filter, IDAS LPS D2.

No filter is perfect, while I still think the IDAS LPS D2 filter is a great general purpose light pollution filter, I noticed that it is cutting off the blue/green color region. And I can confirm this when I used it on an unfinished project of M45 Pleiades, and I could hardly pick up any of the blue nebulosity. It has also been noted here on a few threads that the IDAS LPS D2 does indeed, cut out a lot of the blue hue.

On the other hand, while it's not a true narrowband, the Optolong l-eNhance still cuts out a lot of light and thus, it would prove challenging as a beginner when you are just taking test exposures and framing your target. Note the adjustment in ISO setting, so you can estimate that the l-eNhance restricts almost 4x amount of light through.

I have been framing my targets with D2 and then switching over to l-eNhance when I am ready to start the session. I love this l-eNhance filter, and the natural color it is able to help me capture.

For both of these images, I stretched the image, and used a luminosity layer to bring out the contrast and nebulosity. But neither has had any saturation/hue adjustment. I prefer to retain as natural of colors as I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• Easter Veil Final-1 D2 Info-LG.jpg
  • Eastern Veil Final-1 L-eNhance Info-LG.jpg

Edited by awong101, 25 October 2020 - 02:20 PM.

• nofxrx, Starman27, 17.5Dob and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics