•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary and Double star camera recommendations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:04 PM

I've been curious to start imaging double stars lately. I've been a visual astronomer since I was 10. Double stars have fascinated me more then other objects in the night sky. Even open clusters are way up there on my list.

My question is, would a planetary camera also be good for double stars?

I have a variety of excellent telescopes I can use. AT-92, SW-120ED, APM-152ED, in addition to C8 HD and C11.

I have a cannon DSLR I could use, would that be good enough to give double star imaging a try?

Also, what would be a good recommendation for someone looking to image double stars, planets and even open clusters? Would a camera for these objects be different then for imaging deep space, or is it the scope type that maters more for double stars and planets, vs deep space objects?

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

...Ralph in Sac

#2 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gaston, Oregon, United States

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:56 PM

This image of Struve 331 was taken with a Nikon D850 and AT130EDT. The angular separation and position angle measured from this image agreed with published values.

Struve 331.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics