•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Frost on concrete pier

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bouvier_1

bouvier_1

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sundre, Alberta

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

I notice that frost is forming on my pier inside my Skyshed Pod. There is about 3' of exposed pier under my deck. I am not heating the Pod but solar is warming the interior during the day.

Is this something others have noticed?

Is this something of concern? 

Is there any mitigation needed?

Thanks for any input. This is my 1st winter with the Pod.

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

I wouldn't worry about frost on your pier from a structural standpoint.  Unless there is a crack the water could work into and then freeze.  Cracks should be filled with something.

#3 speedster

speedster

Messenger

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:15 PM

I would be concerned but not about the pier.  Water vapor has to condense to form frost which means your pier is below the dew point.  Is the mount and scope far behind?    A small heater will take care of it.  So that you are no trying to heat your whole back yard, you can seal the gap between dome and walls.  Some say 3/4" backer rod will work but it wasn't thick enough for mine.  I tried several things and garage door weather seal worked best by far.  It's in place permanently and does not add noticeable friction to dome rotation.  It also keeps out bugs and other critters.

IMG_2638sm.jpg

• laedco58 likes this

#4 bouvier_1

bouvier_1

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sundre, Alberta

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:39 PM

I would be concerned but not about the pier.  Water vapor has to condense to form frost which means your pier is below the dew point.  Is the mount and scope far behind?    A small heater will take care of it.  So that you are no trying to heat your whole back yard, you can seal the gap between dome and walls.  Some say 3/4" backer rod will work but it wasn't thick enough for mine.  I tried several things and garage door weather seal worked best by far.  It's in place permanently and does not add noticeable friction to dome rotation.  It also keeps out bugs and other critters.

attachicon.gifIMG_2638sm.jpg

I've seen your weather seal solution before and I fully intend on doing the same.

It's such a good idea it should be incorporated into the new ones!

Edited by bouvier_1, 26 October 2020 - 02:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics