•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M52 and surrounding environs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ceteris_paribus

ceteris_paribus

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:28 PM

So, I haven't really been able to so any astronomy for the past year and a half.  Had my first child, and with that and my teaching schedule, it doesn't leave much time for anything else.  But, decided that I needed to focus just a bit on the old hobby, so opened up the observatory, and set things on M52.  For some reason I like this cluster.  A widefield shot is like trying to play whack-a-mole with nebulosity.  And, of course, the Bubble being in there is an added bonus.  Because of light pollution, I have rarely tried LRGB, but I decided that, since I was going to do all of this fully automated, I would just let the light gather for days, and try and get a workable signal.  Since it was an open cluster, it worked pretty well.  I also tried to enhance the Red with Ha using Pixinsight's NBRGB script.  Overall, it worked pretty well.  I think there might be an overall very slight blue hue, but that might be my monitor. 

As for processing, I went very light on it.  I sadly don't have hours to spend on processing, so I just accepted the things that I did not have time to change.  The specific details are in the Astrobin description.

I am certainly open to any comments that you all might have.

Cheers,

John

get.jpg?insecure

Capture details:

600x60s Luminance

100x60s RGB

100x300s: Ha

• Gregory, calypsob, chrysalis and 3 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:38 PM

superb wide field , thanks .

#3 Gregory

Gregory

Mariner 2

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:44 PM

paribus,

This is just the sort of image that I really enjoy, outstanding data

capture, light processing.

Spacing on the reducer/flattener needs a bit of adjusting, probably

widening the gap a bit, judging by the corners.

Gregory

The specific details are in the Astrobin description.

I am certainly open to any comments that you all might have.

Capture details:

600x60s Luminance

100x60s RGB

100x300s: Ha

Edited by Gregory, 25 October 2020 - 10:46 PM.

#4 ceteris_paribus

ceteris_paribus

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:12 PM

I shall try moving it out a mm or two.  I have experimented a bit with it, and it's just being stubborn.  It originally fit a much older 700mm f/7.1, so I have not really had many illusions that it would work perfectly for the 71gt, but, since it gets such wide fields anyway, losing the edges never made much of a difference.  Of course, with a field so full, it suddenly became one :).

-John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics