•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C9.25 Edge, Lunar Imaging

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grumble69

grumble69

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:29 PM

For years I've been using a homemade 8" dob, primarily for SSO.  I'm going to finally treat myself to the C9.25 Edge on a EQ6-R mount.  ...when they become available.  I plan on using this set-up for visual + dipping my toes into astrophotography.  I'm going to start with imaging the moon, and eventually progress to planetary imaging.  I may eventually get to DSO, but not anytime soon.

For this post, I'd just like to focus on the moon portion.  From my research, it sounds like the Moonlite CHL focuser would be a worthy accessory that would be helpful further down the path.  ...as would a ADC.  And the ASI183MM would be my camera.  Does this sound reasonable?  Anything else I should consider?

Edge -> Focuser -> ADC -> Camera?

It's the ADC that's confusing me.  It looks like the Moonlite has the M42 t-thread connection as an option which should screw right into the ASI183.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong style ADC (https://astronomy-im...product/zwo-adc)

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:28 AM

Interesting device that I have not previously heard about. I am interested in an ADC. Anybody out these using one that can comment?

When not using Hyperstar for wide field DSOs, this is my usual set up for smaller DSO and lunar (see image below). I obviously use f/10 (plus sometimes Barlow) for planets. But  f/6.3 seems to work well as it gives me a nice full frame Moon and the FR offers some correction. If I want to target a specific lunar feature then I will remove the focal reducer and Baader Varilock. The joy of this is no diagonal in the optical train. I wonder if this solution has as much positive impact as an ADC? If I replaced focal reducer with ADC would that offer benefits? One drawback, it doesnt work with cooled cameras on an Alt-Az (too little clearance), but then you probably don't need cooling for lunar and planets.

Varilock.JPG

#3 spereira

spereira

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:15 AM

Moving to Lunar Observing & Imaging.

smp

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics