•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Silicon wafers? Spectralon?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Squidink

Squidink

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greater Boston

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:46 PM

Digging through my attic, I came across two circa 1997 AMD 150mm wafers and a few big pieces of Spectralon sintered teflon- used in integrating spheres.

Are either of these useful? I could envision the Si wafers being a decent flat mirror, at least in terms of smoothness. I am not sure the spectralon is useful unless it could be used for AP somehow.

Any thoughts?

#2 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

I have considered to use a wafer myself another day. In ATM a flat mirror can be used approximately for three purposes:
1) Autocollimation flat. Problems to be solved: reflection is rather low (about 40%) and aluminium does not adhere well to silicon without an intermediate layer. This will require some experiments. Apart from that: because the wafers are very thin, they need a very special cell. This requires FEA knowledge as well or you have to glue the wafer to a more thicker piece of material underneath it. But note that this may create peeling problems.
2) Elliptical flat mirror. Approximately similar problems as 1.
3) A spherometer nulling plate. Does not have the problems above. But this can be done with a normal slab of glass as well.

2) Spectralon can be used in a few ways. How big are the chunks anyway?

#3 Squidink

Squidink

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:32 AM

I have 8" diameter slabs of spectralon. It was extras from a 6(edit) foot diameter integrating sphere for NIST from the late 1990s.

I was wondering about the wafers for mirror test.

For autocollimation, I imagine, I can just use more illumination? and adhere it to a slab of thicker glass, or given the CTE mismatch, use low modulus  foam tape

I am curious to see if the mirror on the Starfinder is good, and I need to take it apart anyway, so this would be an interesting way to learn about testing.

Edited by Squidink, 26 October 2020 - 07:53 PM.

#4 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

Squidlink: If you want to go for autocollimation, I'd check for flatness of the wafer after bonding it. The CTE is not a problem if you keep the setup indoors and as long as you keep the temperature more or less constant. If you take a bright source, probably 40% reflection is no problem either. But I would definitely bond it to a piece of material to increase stiffness.

You can consider to make a flat panel from the spectralon.

• Pinbout likes this

#5 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

I'd check for flatness of the wafer after bonding it.

waytogo.gif

#6 Squidink

Squidink

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that.I have 1" thick slabs of aluminum I can "float" it on. I can check them for flatness at work first. Smooth won't matter much if I make a silicon funhouse mirror.

#7 gregj888

gregj888

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:51 PM

float it, bonding would need to have matching CTE or temp control.

#8 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:06 AM

Gregj888: Only relevant if you want to change the temperatures. Indoors the temperature barely changes.

#9 Spectral Joe

Spectral Joe

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Livermore CA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

Wafers have a somewhat arcane set of "flatness" specifications. Flatness in wafer spec space refers to total thickness variation, and a really good wafer has a flatness spec of a micron. More meaningful are warp and bow numbers, referring to 1 or 2 dimensional curvature. Those are typically in the 10-50 micron range. So, wafers are far from flat, as compared to optical surfaces.

• Bob4BVM and Squidink like this

#10 Squidink

Squidink

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:56 PM

Wafers have a somewhat arcane set of "flatness" specifications. Flatness in wafer spec space refers to total thickness variation, and a really good wafer has a flatness spec of a micron. More meaningful are warp and bow numbers, referring to 1 or 2 dimensional curvature. Those are typically in the 10-50 micron range. So, wafers are far from flat, as compared to optical surfaces.

I was suspecting that it was too good to be true. Oh well, I will keep them filed with the Christmas tree ornaments and disco ball.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics