•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lube the RA worm and gear on EQ1 Mount?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 emflocater

emflocater

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:32 PM

Hi Folks. Quick simple question here...I have a couple cheap EQ1 Mounts which I use for small refractors for easy portability to bring out in the backyard for a few minutes of observing. What I noticed is there is no grease whatsoever on the RA worm or worm gear! I do manually rotate the RA axis sometimes when tracking an object such as the Moon or a planet.Seems crazy with metal to metal and no lube. I Wondered why. Do you think I can put a small amount of Super Lube on the worm and gear, or should I leave it alone?

Thanks

Don

Edited by emflocater, 26 October 2020 - 12:36 PM.

#2 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

I sure would hit it with a light coat of good grease, wiping off all excess so grease is in the gear teeth, work it in with a toothbrush.  It will make a difference in smoothness & wear of gears. While ideal for scope mount drives, worm gears are the highest friction/lowest efficiency gear type. The worm especially needs lube as its gear faces literally drag over the tooth faces of the wheel gear.

While you are at it also lube the shaft bearing surfaces the gears turn on. If you cant disassemble to grease shafts, then drip some good quality motor oil to run into the journal spaces. I use Mobil-1 for such, great rust prevention too.

CS

Bob

Edited by Bob4BVM, 26 October 2020 - 12:54 PM.

• Jschroedl likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

Hi Folks. Quick simple question here...I have a couple cheap EQ1 Mounts which I use for small refractors for easy portability to bring out in the backyard for a few minutes of observing. What I noticed is there is no grease whatsoever on the RA worm or worm gear! I do manually rotate the RA axis sometimes when tracking an object such as the Moon or a planet.Seems crazy with metal to metal and no lube. I Wondered why. Do you think I can put a small amount of Super Lube on the worm and gear, or should I leave it alone?

Thanks

Don

Lube.  Don't overdo it and it can be very simple.

#4 emflocater

emflocater

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

Lube.  Don't overdo it and it can be very simple.

Thanks Folks for the great replies. I did tear the mount down to remove paint over spray and remove paint where surfaces meet other surfaces and buffed these surfaces smooth and lubed and lubed all areas (after smoothing surfaces) involving shafts etc.. The last thing I did was adjust any backlash in the RA Axis of which I noticed no lube on the RA Gear and Worm. I will give a light lube with toothbrush as you Folks advise!

Cheers

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics