•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quirky astro scopes and stuff from decades past

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

Lots of classic astro stuff out there. Scopes, eyepieces, prisms, finders, adapters. The list goes on and on. But then there is the unusual and folks may not know about it. Take the Celestron Williams Dry Ice Cold Camera. Remember that? I was hoping to utilize one of those back in the 80´s. To no avail. It was ridiculous. Total disappointment for a young chap who had spent a years worth of paper route money. Not everything bad, though. Tuthill a harbinger of some pretty well thought and innovative astro gear. Think isostatic mount. Hope this will be fun. So here we go with the first entry, a set of Zeiss filters:

Zeiss Filter Verschiedenered.jpg

It has taken me a while to get hold of these Zeiss filters. They rarely come up on the bay and I thought it a great idea to watch the Mars opposition in style with the 80´s Zeiss Marsglas. It screws on any Zeiss .0965" eyepiece by unscrewing the universal plastic ring on the top. The orange glas is an OG5. Using it on my Zeiss Telementor, dark surface detail on Mars is visibly enhanced. Most any OG5 filter will do the job at a fraction of the cost. But then these are not Zeiss! Same goes for the two pairs of beautifully machined Zeiss Mondglas hell and Zeiss Mondglas dunkel (moonfilter bright and dark). I tried them both on a half moon and they do a great job. Modern variable polarising filters offering more convenience, though.

I hope this can be a fun thread. So chime in and show us your quirky astro stuff from decades past.

• Steve_M_M, Eric P, mattyfatz and 12 others like this

#2 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:45 AM

Stefan,

This will be a fun thread with no end in site...........Here is a over engineered Edmund off axis guider developed circa 1979.  This one came with a 8 inch relfector model 4001 I purchased back in 2003 but was never mounted on the OTA.  I still marvel at the sand cast engineering and finishing.  Instead of re-inventing the wheel here is a link to a very detailed post by Amicus Sidera (in memorium) that shows everything you need to know about this extinct dinosaur from the early years of amateur astro-photography.

https://www.cloudyni...ff-axis-guider/

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201027_093619a.jpg
  • 20201027_093637a.jpg

• Steve_M_M, tim53, Eric P and 10 others like this

#3 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

If the Edmund 1.25” 28mm RKE is touted as the Spacewalk Eyepiece, it feels more like the spacewalking astronaut has become untethered and is drifting in endless space while looking through this baby! Edmund sold these heavy brass encased gunsight eyepieces from WWII in their catalog more than fifty years ago. Approximately 2” in diameter and weighing about a pound, this Spaceship Porthole is an old favorite of mine. I bought my first one fifty-three years ago and after years of begging and haranguing, I finally let my brother have it some twenty years ago, whilst wooed by some of he new designs. I never got over that and after looking for some time, I placed a want ad here on CN. Through the generosity of a CN member here and my undying gratitude, I finally have another. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 5C690478-EF73-4516-860C-FF2EE2E7F710.jpeg
  • FFF9C438-1BBE-4680-8FB8-AC6573A65D2C.jpeg

• Steve_M_M, Eric P, mattyfatz and 13 others like this

#4 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

Deluxe Optica b/c spectroscope with additional comparative light source window.

spectroscope.jpg

cut-away view.jpg

• Steve_M_M, tim53, Eric P and 16 others like this

#5 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:02 PM

Lafayette Tele-Cam camera adapter. It actually works pretty well with a light camera.

tele-cam.JPG

telecam2.jpg

• Eric P, mattyfatz, starman876 and 9 others like this

#6 Pete W

Pete W

Messenger

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:43 PM

How 'bout the non-deluxe Optica b/c 1.25" spectroscope.  Works great on the Sun.

20201027_153947.jpg

Edited by Pete W, 27 October 2020 - 03:46 PM.

• Eric P, mattyfatz, CharlieB and 8 others like this

#7 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:44 PM

Hasselblad T adapter

Attached Thumbnails

• 161B776A-F403-46AA-A817-2C4A47874F6C.jpeg

• tim53, mattyfatz, CharlieB and 7 others like this

#8 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:06 PM

Goto Kogaku terrestrial erector.  This is Goto's first model prior to the compact poro prism.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201027_164437a.jpg
  • 20200709_184525a.jpg
  • post-34762-14071925482811_thumb (4).jpg

• Eric P, mattyfatz, steve t and 5 others like this

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:19 PM

Another weird (& LONG) erecting lens assembly -- this one from that 1956 Space Scope 151 that I bought locally:

Space Scope 151 - S23.jpg

To Use:  Remove the .965" eyepiece adapter, then thread this in.  It came with that very good Zoom Kellner that uses a BB as a click-stock.  The scope is sold, but I kept what turned out to be my very best 1950s Kellner -- 30mm when compressed.  With 50mm & smaller refractors, it gives me that 3D Marble Moon view. 

Space Scope 151 - S15.jpg

Edited by Bomber Bob, 27 October 2020 - 05:23 PM.

• Eric P, CharlieB, steve t and 5 others like this

#10 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:08 PM

Probably one of the oddest mounts I've come across.  If you have it in alt-az mode, you only have access to about 30 deg above the horizon.  If you tilt the latitude adjuster to put it into EQ mode, you have no sky access except for about 20 deg. above and below the ecliptic.  Perhaps it was meant as a mount for lunar and planetary use only.

It holds a 60mm scope in its captive clamshell.

DSC_1689 - Edited.jpg

DSC_1687 - Edited.jpg

IMG_0346.JPG

• Eric P, mattyfatz, Pete W and 6 others like this

#11 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:48 PM

Lots of classic astro stuff out there. Scopes, eyepieces, prisms, finders, adapters. The list goes on and on. But then there is the unusual and folks may not know about it. Take the Celestron Williams Dry Ice Cold Camera. Remember that? I was hoping to utilize one of those back in the 80´s. To no avail. It was ridiculous. Total disappointment for a young chap who had spent a years worth of paper route money. Not everything bad, though. Tuthill a harbinger of some pretty well thought and innovative astro gear. Think isostatic mount. Hope this will be fun. So here we go with the first entry, a set of Zeiss filters:

attachicon.gifZeiss Filter Verschiedenered.jpg

It has taken me a while to get hold of these Zeiss filters. They rarely come up on the bay and I thought it a great idea to watch the Mars opposition in style with the 80´s Zeiss Marsglas. It screws on any Zeiss .0965" eyepiece by unscrewing the universal plastic ring on the top. The orange glas is an OG5. Using it on my Zeiss Telementor, dark surface detail on Mars is visibly enhanced. Most any OG5 filter will do the job at a fraction of the cost. But then these are not Zeiss! Same goes for the two pairs of beautifully machined Zeiss Mondglas hell and Zeiss Mondglas dunkel (moonfilter bright and dark). I tried them both on a half moon and they do a great job. Modern variable polarising filters offering more convenience, though.

I hope this can be a fun thread. So chime in and show us your quirky astro stuff from decades past.

Mondglas on dude. What's the hell?

Stefan,

This will be a fun thread with no end in site...........Here is a over engineered Edmund off axis guider developed circa 1979.  This one came with a 8 inch relfector model 4001 I purchased back in 2003 but was never mounted on the OTA.  I still marvel at the sand cast engineering and finishing.  Instead of re-inventing the wheel here is a link to a very detailed post by Amicus Sidera (in memorium) that shows everything you need to know about this extinct dinosaur from the early years of amateur astro-photography.

https://www.cloudyni...ff-axis-guider/

Don

I should do something with this one. Mine is a slightly different version, two bolt mount. 

Here is the one that hits the most non standard things in the most places I've seen.  The electronics, mount, focuser, total toaster knob job, it works, apo, Springfield - semi, 8"  F(out there 7 or 8 or more...), more.

Here's more

Part of the focuser and upper half mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-45234-14073280239364.jpg
  • post-45234-140732803778_thumb.jpg
  • post-45234-14073280381597_thumb.jpg
  • post-45234-14073280394741.jpg

• Eric P, CharlieB, astro140 and 8 others like this

#12 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:47 AM

Very strange prism finder on Nippon Kogaku 50mm scope. It's just like the prism finder found on old folding cameras.  It give a right angle view of the two peep sight finder tabs.  It has to be aligned every time you change eyepieces, as it attaches to the eyepiece barrel and must align with those tabs.  It does work, but it's a pain to use and not particularly effective.  Fortunately, my NK50 came with the optional finder scope.

NK finder1.JPG

NK finder 4.JPG

NK finder2.jpg

NK finder 3.JPG

• astro140, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#13 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:59 AM

Another contraption from the golden times of analog. German advertising blasted this shiny marvel of ingenuity in the late 80´s, promising dramatically increased film sensitivity for long exposure astrophotography. At less then a grand I happily boarded the train. Just a few easy steps had to be followed: Step one: Lights off. Pull out film from canister in darkness. Step two: Insert film on special spool inside the cylindric pressure chamber. Step three: Close chamber lid and fasten with wingbuttons provided. Step four: Lights on. Attach pump to valve and suck out air. Step five: Close valve. Step six: Attach canister with forming gas and hydrogen at opposite valves. Step seven: Open valves. Step eight: Close valves and let forming gas do its thing for 10 hours. Step nine: Open valves to let gas escape. Step ten: Lights off and open pressure chamber. Step eleven: Remove film and roll back into canister in complete darkness. Step twelve: Lights on. Step thirteen: You are now ready for some great astrophotography. Step fourteen: Develop exposed film. Step fifteen: Realise M42 is a blurry soup. Step sixteen: You black out. Step seventeen: You wake up in an institution for the very nervous.bangbang.gif

Film-Hypering.jpg

• astro140, steve t, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#14 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

Image Rotator.jpg This attachment if from my 1960 12" Fecker cassegrain. As you rotate the brass part, the image through the eyepiece rotates. I do not really understand why anyone would want that.

Peter

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#15 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:07 AM

Image Rotator.jpg This attachment if from my 1960 12" Fecker cassegrain. As you rotate the brass part, the image through the eyepiece rotates. I do not really understand why anyone would want that.

Peter

• mattyfatz, Bomber Bob and mikerepp like this

#16 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

I bought this Tuthill device in 1986. Didn´t utilize the polar axis finder. Loved the "Ring-Of-Fire self-illuminated eyepiece", though.

Tuthill Polar axis finder.jpg

• mattyfatz, Pete W, steve t and 3 others like this

#17 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Gotta love those quirky mobile car observatories. Jeff Schroeder´s "golden" frac on top a matching classic Volvo.

Mobilsternwarte Volvo Jeff Schroderred.jpg

• mattyfatz, CharlieB, Pete W and 9 others like this

#18 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:11 AM

IMG_4600.JPG

Found this little gem in my brochures collection. Polish startup. Never saw one of these in flesh, though.

• mattyfatz, Corcaroli78, steve t and 3 others like this

#19 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:44 PM

One of my favorite "oddballs".  An Optica b/c adapter that is threaded for a T-mount on one end, and is a diagonal/eyepiece receiver on the other.  Instant telescope from you favorite T-mount camera lens - in theory, anyway.  It only works with a diagonal if you have a very wide focus range lens, like one of the old 500mm mirror lenses.  It works with all lenses if you view straight through with just the eyepiece.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

• astro140, steve t, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics