•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"The Sky Atlas" by Edward Brooke-Hitching

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

I've been tempted by this book for a while.  Has anyone read it and have an opinion they might share?

The Sky Atlas by Edward Brooke-Hitching

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• BFaucett and Crusty99 like this

#2 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

• Loc: Holland, MI

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:54 PM

Looks nice.  Added it to my Amazon wish list, unless I can find it locally first.

#3 lxr4345

lxr4345

Explorer 1

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:52 PM

I just got a copy a week ago!  I guess whether or not you'll like it depends on what you're looking for.  It has lots of beautiful photos and brief overviews that attempt to cover the history of astronomy all over the planet.  It is decidedly not an in-depth scholarly work, but having only just cracked into it, I've learned a lot (I'm not a historian or scholar though).  If you've read Cosmos or Burnham's, a lot of the descriptions and historical anecdotes will be familiar, but it's nice to see photos and illustrations to go with them.  The printing quality is very nice as well. Overall, it's a great survey with great illustrations and photos and will make a nice (albeit relatively small) coffee table book.  I find it to be a great companion to Burnham's when I want to do some reading about astronomy without the laser focus of researching specific objects. 

Here's a link to a more professional review that I found to be pretty accurate.

• BFaucett, brentknight, ascii and 1 other like this

#4 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:36 PM

I just got a copy a week ago!  I guess whether or not you'll like it depends on what you're looking for.  It has lots of beautiful photos and brief overviews that attempt to cover the history of astronomy all over the planet.  It is decidedly not an in-depth scholarly work, but having only just cracked into it, I've learned a lot (I'm not a historian or scholar though).  If you've read Cosmos or Burnham's, a lot of the descriptions and historical anecdotes will be familiar, but it's nice to see photos and illustrations to go with them.  The printing quality is very nice as well. Overall, it's a great survey with great illustrations and photos and will make a nice (albeit relatively small) coffee table book.  I find it to be a great companion to Burnham's when I want to do some reading about astronomy without the laser focus of researching specific objects. 

Here's a link to a more professional review that I found to be pretty accurate.

Thanks!

#5 Crusty99

Crusty99

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:36 PM

ascii,

Thanks for sharing the information on this wonderful book. I decided to get my copy in the Kindle format.

roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics