•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC FIRSTLIGHT 10 "SOLID TUBE DOBSONIAN or SKY-WATCHER - 10" TRADITIONAL DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE ?

classic reflector dob
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ricardoastro13

ricardoastro13

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

I have doubts!

I want to buy a 10 "Newtonian for observation.

In the future, my intention is to adquire a robust equatorial mount to start in astrophotography with this telescope, but now I just want observation.

Which do you indicate "SKY-WATCHER - TRADITIONAL DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE OF 10" or EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC FIRSTLIGHT 10 "SOLID TUBE DOBSONIAN" ???
I saw that you still have the "ORION SKYQUEST XT10 CLASSIC DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE"

Does anyone have any who can give me an opinion to help me?

Thank´s

#2 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:39 PM

Moving this to Reflectors.

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

I have owned an Orion XT10i for 8 or 9 years. It's been a very good scope. The Sky Watcher solid tube Dob will be very similar but I have not seen one. I have used a friend's ES First Light 10".

I have recommended the 10" ES First Light scope several times and continue to do so. While the optical performance of the 3 scopes will be much more similar that different (and quite good) the ES scope sets itself apart from the other 2 by virtue of its better designed large altitude bearings. That's a very smart development.

Welcome to the forums ricardoastro13! And enjoy your new scope.

• Asbytec, ShaulaB and ricardoastro13 like this

#4 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:16 PM

Hi Ricardo and welcome to Cloudy Nights. I've only had minimal experience with a couple Orion XTs owned by club members and very impressed by their build and quality in that price range. Explore Scientific builds a good telescope. I may not own one of their reflectors but if their apo refractors are any indication...of which I own two...I can recommend them without hesitation.

• ricardoastro13 likes this

#5 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:16 PM

I am not sure any of these tubes will work for astrophotography other than in afocal through the eyepiece.  They may not have enough "Infocus" such that the DSLR or dedicated astro-camera will be able to reach focus .  

I have a XT10 that I put on a non-goto EQ6 for visual.  The tube is very long and even small gusts of wind move the tube. This is fine for visual but not ideal for astrophotography.  Also the tube weighs about 35lbs with accessories so with a rule of thumb for astrophotography you would need a mount capable of about 70+lbs to use one of these tubes for Astrophotography later.

This or similar is what you want to do both visual and astrophotograpy.  However, I would ask in the astrophotography forum for their advice for a Newtonian for astrophotography.

If you want the telescope for just for visual, I would get the First Light because the tube rings for the Dob will come off and on easily and you could swap back and forth between EQ and Dobsonian modes quickly.  If you just want an optical tube assembly for Visual on the EQ mount, this will do but again it is not really set up for astrophotograpy.  

FYI a big Newtonian on an EQ mount is not easy to use.  My tripod is 30lbs, my mount head is 40lbs, my counter weights are 33lbs, my telescope tube is 35lbs, and my battery is 20lbs (150lbs total).   It is a lot of gear for visual.  The eyepiece ends up 7 to 8 ft. above the ground (you need a ladder to view).  Even at its lowest the eyepiece is 5ft. off of the ground.  If I change the part of the sky I am looking at, I have to rotate the tube so the eyepiece is in a better location.    Once set up it is nice for tracking objects like mars or for studying DSOs for long periods.   However, It is not an everyday setup!  

XT10 EQ6.jpg

• Bill Jensen and ricardoastro13 like this

#6 donsinger

donsinger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

Starting in astrophotography with a large Newtonian would be an exercise in frustration and a bad idea.

Best to begin with a small wide field refractor and nice mount you can grow into. Do a lot of research in the astrophotography forums-I nearly made the same mistake and glad I asked a lot of questions

#7 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:51 AM

After long thoughts about astrophotography and beginners, I've come to a conclusions.

Don't consider "astrophotography someday" with your starter equipment. Almost no beginner level gear is at all useful for it. And, to be blunt? The cost of your starter gear is basically insignificant compared to what astrophotography costs to get into. That 10" dobsonian is a complete visual observing system and it costs less than 1/3 of the least expensive mount commonly recommended for astrophotography. And that's just the mount!

• cuzimthedad, mattyfatz, Asbytec and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, reflector, dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics