•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

has anyone gotten an iOptron 8401 controller to interface with windows 10?

equipment mount planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alvacouch

alvacouch

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Woburn, MA USA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

As some of you may know, the USB-to-serial driver for the iOptron 8402 handset/controller was forcibly removed from the windows 10 driver list by replacing it with a dummy driver.

The reasons for this were unbelievable: pirates were selling a pirated copy of USB-to-serial chip in the handset, that was so convincing that one could not tell it from the original. To deal with this piracy, the original manufacturer of the USB-to-serial chip asked that the driver be removed from windows 10 in 2012. This disabled ALL USB-to-serial chips of that design, and not just the counterfeit ones.

AFAIK, iOptron had nothing to do with this nonsense. 

I just happen to have one of those 8402G controllers, so I am out of luck at connecting it to Windows 10 unless I disable updates on Windows 10 and load an old driver, which would affect all of my drivers. Not a good idea. 

But my mount -- the iOptron cube-A (not the II) -- also supports the 8401 controller, which is still sold. It contains a different USB-to-serial chip. So, I wonder if the problem would go away if I bought an 8401 handset. 

Is anyone who has an 8401 handset using it with an up-to-date copy of Windows 10? 

Thanks for any information in advance!

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:10 PM

I bought this and it's working fine:

https://smile.amazon...bb-8a79de2d236f

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics