•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Willmann-Bell

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#276 frivera3

frivera3

Lift Off

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:41 PM

Yeah I agree 2020 is messed up in so many different ways, it will be a year none of us will ever forget

Looking forward to 2021- can't imagine it being exactly the same, much less worse, than this year 

#277 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:25 PM

2020 continues to be a disaster, in my view, at least.

Ok, lets look at this and see bright aspects of 2020 not only dark ones. We had an amazing comet (C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) not so long ago, Mars opposition last month, news that Edward R. Byers Co. may be resurrected, news that some sort of deal regarded Willmann-Bell books is in works and great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn is coming 21 December 2020, . Not to mention that due to current situation some of us had much more time for observing then before. I understand that COVID and social unrest were depressing in many different ways but from point of view of astronomy would not call 2020 total loss. 

• RogerLaureys, turtle86, atpladypilot and 4 others like this

#278 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:37 PM

Ok, lets look at this and see bright aspects of 2020 not only dark ones. We had an amazing comet (C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) not so long ago, Mars opposition last month, news that Edward R. Byers Co. may be resurrected, news that some sort of deal regarded Willmann-Bell books is in works and great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn is coming 21 December 2020, . Not to mention that due to current situation some of us had much more time for observing then before. I understand that COVID and social unrest were depressing in many different ways but from point of view of astronomy would not call 2020 total loss. 

Once again hmm.gif  an amazing comet seems to have been a bad/good omen for what has/is still to come.

Edited by Lucullus, 03 December 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#279 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:25 PM

Ok, lets look at this and see bright aspects of 2020... Not to mention that due to current situation some of us had much more time for observing then before... 

:) I caught up on many missed nights of observing during the two weeks in July I was quarantined after catching that covid bug.  Made my 2 weeks less boring, at least the nights.

#280 Love Cowboy

Love Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:56 PM

Hear hear.  Other stuff notwithstanding, this has been one of my best observing years in a long time

• grzesznypl likes this

#281 geminikylar

geminikylar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 PM

As an outsider, it is interesting to see so much love and discussion around Willmann-Bell. I’m one of the owners grandchildren, and have done some editing work on the Annals series in the past for them. But for the most part, it’s a small operation. Just my grandparents who are both getting old. I’ve been impressed by how they’ve maintained the business for so long. Unfortunately, just confirming that a combination of sudden bad health issues and server issues have made operation impossible. But they’re in the process of getting their ducks in a row as best as they can. But I’m happy to see so much admiration in this forum. Thank you for the support!
  • davidmcgo, Mike McShan, turtle86 and 12 others like this

#282 Toups

Toups

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 PM

I was really hoping it was only the server and software help issue and not health issues.

Best wishes for you and your extended family.

#283 rmazzullo

rmazzullo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York State - but Elvis is 'leaving the building'...

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 PM

They have done a remarkable job. How they started, grew and maintained a small business with so much reach, stability and integrity would be worth a (long) story all by itself. Perhaps the legacy will continue.

All the best to the both of them.

Bob M.

Edited by rmazzullo, Yesterday, 05:56 PM.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#284 Mike McShan

Mike McShan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted Yesterday, 06:19 PM

As an outsider, it is interesting to see so much love and discussion around Willmann-Bell. I’m one of the owners grandchildren, and have done some editing work on the Annals series in the past for them. But for the most part, it’s a small operation. Just my grandparents who are both getting old. I’ve been impressed by how they’ve maintained the business for so long. Unfortunately, just confirming that a combination of sudden bad health issues and server issues have made operation impossible. But they’re in the process of getting their ducks in a row as best as they can. But I’m happy to see so much admiration in this forum. Thank you for the support!

I wish nothing but the best for you and your grandparents. We in the amateur astronomy community are very grateful for the contribution that Willmann-Bell has made over the years.

Blessing and happy holidays.

Clear skies,

Mike

• Markovich and SandyHouTex like this

#285 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 PM

I was really hoping it was only the server and software help issue and not health issues.

Best wishes for you and your extended family.

+1 Yes, best wishes for you and your family.

Edited by turtle86, Yesterday, 06:45 PM.

#286 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted Yesterday, 08:08 PM

I have always loved Willmann-Bell.  When I needed a book, they always had it.  When I needed mirror grinding supplies, they always had what I needed.  It may have been small, but a they were great in my eyes.

I still remember an article in S&T (may it rest in peace), where the owner of Willmann-Bell, Perry Ramkulus?, built and brought to Stellafane the first Tri-Scheifspeigler telescope.  It was amazing.  I’m still working on mine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics