•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Willmann-Bell

• Please log in to reply
977 replies to this topic

#976 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Viking 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:10 PM

I have been patient, and I'll continue to be patient.  My point is that there are some people out in the wild that will take advantage of these uncertain times and try to rip people off.  I've seen it quite a few times recently.  If there is an inventory showing which books will become available, then it really is just a wait for it situation and I have no problem with that.  I would be a little frustrated if the only copy of a book I'm waiting for will never be in print again, then maybe I should consider paying a premium for it...

Brent,

I totally understand where you are coming from and it pains me to see that others in our community only think of making a huge profit (Price gouge) off an out of print book. There are a few books/atlases that I am still looking for myself that I know are out of print and either the price is "astronomical" or the condition of the item is so poor that it's not worth the money. Personally I think that keeping the stock quiet till it is ready to be sold is a good thing. This way everyone has a fair chance. If stock is published before its put on sale it may make those scammers know what is going to be available and buy up inventory before others have the chance and then turning around and price gouging again.

I guess my point in my whole post was we really don't know what the scope of the situation is. Was the storage place for W-B a home or a warehouse? Were there 15 cases or 15,000 cases. How many people are working on the W-B inventory? From meeting the former owners at NEAF I got the impression that they were not very organized and that may have been because of age.

• BrentKnight likes this

#977 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 28 May 2022 - 11:25 PM

from a much earlier post it appears there were 2000 boxes and almost 20 tons of books. that the AAS had to pick up from WB. These appear to have been stored in storage units.It was not clear how many.

#978 bigbangbaby

bigbangbaby

Messenger

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 29 May 2022 - 06:42 AM

Perhaps AAS will reprint out of print books after they sell out the NOS copies. Or print on demand. It couldn’t hurt to ask and it would prevent price gouging.

• BrentKnight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics