•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Willmann-Bell

• Please log in to reply
1733 replies to this topic

#1726 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Rego Park, NY

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:52 PM

The post I read was your post from Feb. 13 and was only one sentence long stating that it was available. So yeah, I read the entire post.

My mistake, meant to say entire thread.

#1727 gmiller123456

gmiller123456

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:24 PM

No need to tell someone to read 70 pages instead of just telling them the publisher said "they limit the stock at the fulfilment center to save money".

• markb and DVexile like this

#1728 gmiller123456

gmiller123456

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2024 - 07:40 AM

Looks like there's a few more items since the last time I checked.  Sadly, they all look like titles that have been obsolete for quite a while (Webcam Astrophotography from 2006, Photoshop Astronomy from 2009...).

Also noticed the CD AIP4Win is available, and the date on the CD in the photo is 2019.  Note that the software on the CD requires registration over the Internet and since the old Willman-Bell went offline, the registration process no longer works.  The author has made a version available for free on the mailing list for the book https://groups.io/g/AIP4Win .  Also, the book is not available, and I'm pretty sure when I bought the book it came with the CD.

#1729 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:56 PM

It doesn't make sense to sell a CD of software that can't be installed, especially since an installable version of it is available free.  Do they realize what they're doing?

#1730 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Rego Park, NY

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:04 PM

The newest computers do not even have CD drives anymore. Its an obsolete technology.

#1731 gmiller123456

gmiller123456

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:34 PM

The newest computers do not even have CD drives anymore. Its an obsolete technology.

You can still cheaply get a CD drive for copying the files off.  But pretty much every CD they have has been obsolete for decades.  The algorithms in "Lunar Programs and Tables" and "Planetary Programs and Tables" had been superseded since at least the late 80's.  The "Planetary & Lunar Ephemerides (JPL)" have been available directly from JPL via FTP since at least the mid 90's.  I see the "Elements of Solar Eclipses" CD goes in and out of stock, so apparently they're getting people who don't know even more complete data has been available for several decades (if you're one of them, here it is).  There used to be some CDs that paired with books, but all of those appear to be gone.

I kinda figured they kept the obsolete stuff around for nostalgia purposes, but now I'm pretty convinced it's just that they don't understand what they're selling.

• Michael Covington and Steve Cox like this

#1732 Traveler

Traveler

Aurora

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:30 AM

A little tip for those who struggle with making a CD Rom accesible:

• Borrow a CD-ROM player from someone
  • Use ISOdisk https://www.isodisk.com/
  • Make an ISO file of the CD
  • Mount the ISO file with ISOdisk

#1733 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Soyuz

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:09 AM

Usb CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives are available pretty cheap. But agree a lot of this stuff is dated now.

#1734 Foc

Foc

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 17 March 2024 - 06:19 PM

Just obtained Annals of Deep Sky Vol 10 from my ..nearly..local distributor.. Bintel in Sydney. By waiting an extra few months for them to trickle out to a distributor, l received a book that was well packaged and in good condition.
Though if I could have relied in Shop@sky I might have ordered another Willuam Bell book as well as Bintel only has a small stock and so having a reqirement to order in amd wait is subject to less impulse buys.

Draconian is largely far North of my location but still an interesting read. Given our cloudy weather, I am giving more attention to individual stars rather than whole fields and Annals discussions makes them more interesting. The discussion if the witches hats relationship to Orion is very interesting and so are the Fornax galaxies.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics