•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone else heard from astrobin re data restoration?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:45 PM

I'm surprised I haven't seen a post on this.  Astrobin said they'd recovered my data, and gave me a chance to say which images I wanted to restore.  Seems to have worked well.  Anyone else?

#2 colinrm

colinrm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:55 PM

My only defense is I'd rather have my own website and server to mess up data with than everyone else's.

• the Elf likes this

#3 dswtan

dswtan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:21 AM

I already self-recovered all mine (just inconvenient to go to my own backups, but my collection was not large), so no help for me. I know he's in a tough spot and this new effort is appreciated. It's great that this important collection for the community is going to be much-restored. Kudos for that. Hopefully he can improve the site search soon...

• elmiko likes this

#4 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:43 AM

Personally, I would be quite mad if a paid for service would lose all my data. Even worse, if they didn't recover it.

What I find intriguing, though, is that Telescopius.com provides the same service (and more), it's free, and it doesn't have any limitations on the number of images, their size and plate-solves/annotations you can have. Yet, it doesn't seem to get much love from the amateur astronomy community.

I first thought this was maybe because Telescopius got started/created much later and lost its chance to become the "official" tool. But I just checked their copyrights and they both say 2010-2020. Maybe that's just the last decade, they put on the sites? Did they actually start way before that?

Anyway, fortunately I am just getting started with imaging and posting, so I'll choose the most convenient option. This hobby is expensive enough as it is, with gear, software and time dedicated to it. If I can get away without paying for webspace, then at least that's welcome! lol.gif

• dswtan, BinoGuy and Cbaxter like this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:48 AM

Personally, I would be quite mad if a paid for service would lose all my data. Even worse, if they didn't recover it.

That is the trouble with the 'cloud' idea.

You simply have no control.

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

I haven't seen anything regarding this.  But I keep my images on my own hard drive with backups so I was able to recover mine with no problem.

Just my 2 cents but I would never consider a cloud service as my sole storage for important files.  Any good backup strategy requires multiple locations.

-Dan

• Stelios, mikefulb, nebulasaurus and 3 others like this

#7 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:52 AM

Just my 2 cents but I would never consider a cloud service as my sole storage for important files. Any good backup strategy requires multiple locations.

Completely agree!

I was only talking about online storage from a "final image sharing" perspective.

Of course, all my data resides in two copies, in two different hard-drives. Other than the final image, I keep all the original RAW data, just in case, for future re-processing. The only files I delete are the intermediate ones (calibrated, debayered, weighted, registered, etc.). But those can always be recreated from the RAWs.

#8 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

I lost around 100 of my images. But I had them saved on an external hard drive. Took a few days to repost them, but I still love the format on AB. Salvatore does a great job with the Site. Lesson learned for anyone who didn't save a copy on a backup. Just my two cents.

#9 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:27 PM

What I find intriguing, though, is that Telescopius.com provides the same service (and more), it's free, and it doesn't have any limitations on the number of images, their size and plate-solves/annotations you can have.

Thank you for sharing.  I appreciate it!

Clear skies, BG  {°¿°}

• endlessky likes this

#10 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

I haven't got any notifications yet.  I'm missing half my data.  I have some/most of the images reposted, but the older ones were kind of spotty and they weren't saved.  Hopefully they'll get an email?

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

I haven't got any notifications yet.  I'm missing half my data.  I have some/most of the images reposted, but the older ones were kind of spotty and they weren't saved.  Hopefully they'll get an email?

For me it was a prominent message at the top of the page when I logged in, which directed me to a detailed page where I could mark specific things for either restoration or deletion.  The default (activated in November) will be restoration.

One nice thing is that they have at least some of the earlier versions of an image.  If you restore the prime version, the early versions are also restored.

#12 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:14 AM

For me it was a prominent message at the top of the page when I logged in, which directed me to a detailed page where I could mark specific things for either restoration or deletion.  The default (activated in November) will be restoration.

I'll wait then.  I just checked, I have no message on my page.

#13 the Elf

the Elf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Germany

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:41 AM

For Eur 1.99 per month I have 2Gigs of webspace and 2Gigs mail hosted in my country on SSD with a free domain name. That is enough for 100 objects, each available as a 1080p and a full res jpg. For 5.99 it is 20Gigs so that even videos can be stored. No need to share my data via dropbox or other commercial services. Full privacy. We have an association that provides free information and examples how to code html called selfhtml. It took me a few days to come up with my website copy pasting the examples and adding my text and background. I have all liberty to do what I want. With one more day of work I learned how to make a slideshow. I also added a PayPal donation button and the donations cover the hosting fees for the next several years by now although I do not advertise myself as some other "famous" semi pros do. Even a website configurator is provided in case someone has no clue about web programming at all. The possibilities are more limited but one can build a homepage within hours without any knowledge. The response time is _way_ faster than astrobin. I have a full copy of my website on my hard disk in a single 400Mb zip file, right now with 47 objects in the gallery plus a few articles. Works for me.

http://www.elf-of-lothlorien.de/

• BinoGuy and endlessky like this

#14 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

That's a nice website, Elf.  Thanks for sharing.

#15 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:34 AM

So far, I haven't received such a message. The good news for me is that I was able to restore almost all of what I had on the website. So, it won't make a whole lot of difference to me anyway. But I am glad they have found a solution for at least some of their users. This is especially useful for those who no longer use the site for some reason (such as passing away). At least their work might be recovered.

#16 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

What I find intriguing, though, is that Telescopius.com provides the same service (and more), it's free, and it doesn't have any limitations on the number of images, their size and plate-solves/annotations you can have. Yet, it doesn't seem to get much love from the amateur astronomy community.

I find Telescopius wonderful, especially the tools and interactive location based object transit data. I use the observing lists often as well. Fairly frequently I do see the site recommended for FoV/Image framing visualization, which it is excellent for, but I don't read about folks using it to share final images. My thought is that it just isn't as well known as astrobin for image hosting. Though as far as either service goes, neither one is a backup/disaster recovery service, and I wouldn't recommend using them as such.

Regards and clear skies!

Edited by Cbaxter, 28 October 2020 - 09:49 AM.

• dswtan and endlessky like this

#17 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:57 AM

I like astrobin, its got some great ideas and features. Ive never heard of telescopius. Since flickr is free up to 1,000 images I just upload to two places. When astrobin crashed I just bounced my jpegs back into astrobin. Maybe I’ll start using telescopius too. The more the merrier. I have not gotten any emails regarding restoration of data from abin

Edited by calypsob, 28 October 2020 - 10:58 AM.

#18 dswtan

dswtan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

Getting off topic, but I've been an advocate for Telescopius for some time -- it's been my favorite for image planning/framing with its great FOV tooling. The personal image sharing didn't interest me so much given the existence of Astrobin and its (painful, but somewhat functional) advanced search.

However, having just seen that Telescopius added filtering images by equipment this summer, I'm much more intrigued... And now I've just found they have an auto-import of profiles from Astrobin!

It isn't perfect, but does get your images across (not all the metadata unfortunately, at least for me). Definitely spending more time on this now, and even become a Patron. Competition is good!

• endlessky likes this

#19 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

Yes, sorry for starting the off-topic, Bob.

But Telescopius.com sure is awesome. From the available objects, according to your location, with many filtering options, including minimum height reached and degrees away from the Moon, to framing, and posting pictures.

I have been suggesting it to people asking for framing tools or lists of available objects since I discovered it a few months ago.

Edited by endlessky, 28 October 2020 - 01:29 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics