•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GSO 8 inch f/5 ota for visual.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:59 AM

Thinking of getting one of these. I had the 6 inch f/6 version a while back and really liked it. So from those of you that actually have used one, what have you experienced with its visual performance. 

#2 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:22 AM

I've had this configuration in the past (probably was a GSO variant) and I actually really liked its compact nature. From memory I was really happy with the views too but then I don't obsess about edge-performance and collimation. If I look through an eyepiece and it looks about right, I just tend to get on and enjoy some panning about. If you like wide, immersive views rather than the sharpest possible views, it could be for you. Having said I didn't obsess about collimation, it did need collimating quite a lot! I found the eyepiece level quite low, but it would probably be the same as your 6" f8 if it's dob-mounted. 

#3 izar187

izar187

Skylab

• Loc: 43N

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Taiwanese older version for me too, I assume to be GSO.

Another vote for the compact size.

Alt-az mount on a pedestal in my case: pipe mount.

One position seated viewing and/or stand option, by choice.

Very comfortable and adjustable focuser positions are doable, for just me(set tall) or for outreach(set low)

Tube is short enough to transport upright in my vehicles, with the mount in three pcs behind a seat.

GSO has a very good reputation on mirrors.

The 8 f/5 clearly out resolves my 6 f/5, on everything.

It is my preference over an 8 f/6 dob.

#4 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:23 AM

This is the OTA i am looking into.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture+_2020-10-28-19-21-21(1).png

#5 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:23 AM

Hi Doug I have the same scope from Bintel which works great as a visual set up, eta Carina through an Ethos 17 & UHC filter is spectacular. For the price, definitely worth it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics